Rose growing weirdly

gioia14July 2, 2014

I have a rose in my garden with a very very long stem and the roses start growing from about 6ft but I have beautiful roses from it I was wondering if I cut it right down to the bottom of the stem it would grow again? Any help please x

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Could you get a shot showing the base of the plant up to 5 or 6 feet?

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 10:48AM
seil zone 6b MI

My fear would be that you'd kill it altogether. I tried this once with a climber that only had a couple of canes at the base and all the growth at the top and it died off on me.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 12:32PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Looks like 'Dr. Huey'.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 2:28PM
charleney(8a PNW)

what hoovb said!

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 3:07PM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

I guess I'm not sure I understand what you would like to do, Gioia. Do you mean that you are hoping that by cutting it all off, it will re-grow and bloom at the bottom? That's not likely - at least the way you have it attached at present. You have great blooming going on in the upper part because it is *horizontal*. Vertical canes do nothing but produce a bloom at the very tip top (it's called apical dominance.) By training the cane horizontally, you produce "laterals" or those shorter branches coming off the main cane - and those are where the abundance of blooms come from. Dr. Huey or not (which is a vigorous once-bloomer often used as a rootstock and is usually hardier and longer-lived than the variety it once had grafted onto it) if you like it, try to bring the cane down and across more, rather than straight up like an arrow.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 6:44PM
johnnycabot(Z4b MI.)

Another opinion. Had huge John Davis on trellis, large canes almost entirely girdled by rabbits over last winter. Had two long unsightly limbs left on one side. Not what I wanted. Gritted my teeth, cut back all canes, including thick requiring a saw, to about 18" high. As sprouts appeared,and strengthened, I tied to trellis growing upright. Goes against conventional advice but both of my trellises grow this way. JD was shocked, i tried not to expect too much but he has come back with a vengeance. I say decide it may kill your rose, i don't know yours will respond like mine and then again it may amaze you. Will post pic tomorrow if you'd like. Dark now.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 9:26PM
johnnycabot(Z4b MI.)

Found pics previously taken. Cane on right was 1 inch plus when sawed off below girdling damage. you can see the new growth out both sides.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 9:51PM
johnnycabot(Z4b MI.)

I tie vertically here. I would saw your rose off at about 18" and hope for the best. Do you have that rose in sun,? looks shady...Protect your fresh cut, and feed. Your rose looks strong enough to do it. Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Blood meal
The results of the soil test recommend adding .2 lbs....
Gary
Zone 5 Rose Gardeners "What's Your Favorite Rose'?
Please share your favorite rose. Which one do you...
allaboutrosegardening
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
Costco Roses
I was browsing on the Canadian website of Costco and...
jjpeace (zone 5 US/zone 6 Can)
Pierre de Ronsard/ Eden climbing size question
I plan to train Pierre de Ronsard and it's new dark...
Adrianne
Sponsored Products
Rose Dust Polished Glass Pencil Liners
$9.95 | TileBar
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Jet Black 8 ft. x
Home Depot
Henri Studio Tudor Weave Cast Stone Bird Bath
Lamps Plus
Medium Galvanized Milk Can
$14.99 | zulily
Rose Tree Allegro I Napkins (Set of 6)
Overstock.com