Snow Fountain Cherry leaf damage

Toni1025July 12, 2013

Do you think this is a disease or a bug? There's some browning leaves on tips and some leaves are curled. There's no fungus or powder.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

no disease..

and its so random and MINOR...

that i would speculate on hail ....

regardless.. nothing i would do anything about..

ken

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 4:42PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Don't know about those particular holes but the tip die-back is common on this one around here, where there are significant numbers of plantings to observe.

The holes that are common on Prunus here are those caused by Prunus Shot-hole Fungus. As the name suggests, heavily infested plants look as those pellets have been shot through them.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:10PM
Toni1025

I suspected earwigs because they are eating my butterfly bushes in the back. When I went out at night, I did see earwigs, along with a beetle and some other bugs. I also have the brown spots indicative of shot hole. It rained all of June here so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fungus. I'm afraid it's worse than you may think, as all of this is happening very quickly. Any ideas where I should start. Do I spray for bugs? Should I have the leaves tested for shot hole disease?

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:30PM
Toni1025

Another pic

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:33PM
gardengal48

OK - here's the thing :-) Bugs eat holes in foliage. Unless they are skeletonizing the leaves and defoliating the trees, it is almost always a cosmetic issue - unsightly perhaps but no harm to the tree.

Brown "spots" are not necessarily indicative of shot hole - actual holes/missing tissue in the leaf are more symptomatic of that problem. As bboy described, it looks like someone peppered the tree with buckshot. Again, on deciduous members of the genus, shot hole is more cosmetic than harmful and attempting to treat now is likely to cause more issues than help. This disease is often associated with excessive overhead watering, either from rain or sprinklers and any sort of treatment now is not going to be of much value. Just be sure to clean up well in fall and get rid of the fallen leaves.

I guess the gist of this post is that we need to exercise a degree of tolerance :-) We are dealing with nature and flawless foliage is not the norm, despite what we prefer. By all means treat IF the situation warrants it. In this case, I don't see any reason to believe that it does. All in all, your little tree looks pretty darn good for a weeping cherry.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
what is/are the current spam rules?
i dont have the patience to read all the boilerplate...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Snapped Fiddle Leaf Fig
Hi All, This afternoon I took my Fiddle Leaf Fig to...
Belle Roberts
Does anyone on here have a Cercis canadensis - Eastern Redbud Tree?
I want to get a couple of them. Are they wind tolerant?...
ilovemytrees
So happy that this is the 1st spring where I don't have......
Vole damage. Burying our fences underground 6 inches...
ilovemytrees
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™