Please help id - 3 types of leaves

lmich9July 21, 2014

I would like to know what sort of tree this is out of curiosity. It's close to my garage so I will dig it up when I get to it. It has 3 different shaped leaves. Google kept coming up with sassafrass or mulberry but I don't think it's either of those. It doesn't have any berries. I don't think it's two grafted together because there is another shoot across my yard with the same leaves.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lmich9

Close up of leaves

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:35PM
smivies

Almost certainly Mulberry.

Regardless of your pruning, the shape of the plant is quite unlike Sassafras.

Sassafras and Mulberry are so completely unrelated that grafting wouldn't be possible anyway.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:35PM
lmich9

@smivies I ruled out mulberry because the results I saw all said they had berries. In my 3 years at this house I've never seen berries on the tree. Answer still stand?

They are common and nothing special, no? I have ripped out a few plantings from the PO and lived to regret doing so. Due to its position I hadn't intended to take any care in digging it out but if it is worth saving I would probably try and give it away on craigslist.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:50PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Male mulberries have no fruit. Regardless, still looks like one, and definitely is very much too close to the foundation!

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:54PM
sam_md

what horster said. This mulberry was brought to this country during the Colonial Era with the hopes of starting up a silk industry. Now it is a permanent weed and spreads a disease that kills off our native mulberry and pollutes its gene pool.
Pull it out, every bit of it and into the compost pile.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 4:04PM
smivies

@lmich9 - No fruit doesn't mean much...Mulberry can be dioecious (male OR female plants) or monoecious (flowers of both sexes on the same plant). Looks like you have at least one male.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID this wood? (firewood)
It burns very slowly. It's perfect for nighttime, and...
laura242424
How do I kill a very large tree discreetly?
I have a very large tree in my yard that just has to...
hpb1963
So happy that this is the 1st spring where I don't have......
Vole damage. Burying our fences underground 6 inches...
ilovemytrees
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™