Dicentra eximia

aachenelf z5 MplsSeptember 25, 2011

Does this one self sow for you? In all the years I've grown it, I've never found a stray seedling. My Dicentra spectabilis is almost weed-like in the number of seedling that appear each spring - all over the garden - ,but eximia doesn't appear to do this.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wieslaw59

I may remember wrong, but I think both species are selfsterile(can't pollinate itself), so you have to have at least two different clones to get seed. The seed of D.Spectabilis is a favourite seed to be spread around by ants. In my case all the seed ended up in my green house for some reason.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 11:12AM
NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Mine self-seeds prolifically. Happily, it's easy to rip out or I would be totally overrun. It's the main plant that has seeded itself into a rock wall. I started from just one plant that I got at a swap, and now have more than I want. I even found a white one this year for the first time.

I had D. spectabilis in another garden (not great soil) where it self-sowed some, but nothing like what D eximia is doing in this current garden. It doesn't seem to sow into the adjacent lawn, for which I am grateful since some of my other more prolific perennials do.
From June 2010

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 1:25PM
wieslaw59

Are you sure these are not runners?

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 2:33PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Dicentra formosa self seeds for me, almost weedy but none of my other Dicentras ( I have many) seed at all.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 3:50PM
NHBabs z4b-5a NH

@ wieslaw - Mine are definitely not runners. They set seeds and the seeds sprout.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 9:37PM
terrene(5b MA)

My understanding is the same as Wieslaw's - that Dicentra eximia is not self-compatible. I have only one specimen, that I've divided and moved several times, and have never seen a seedling.

My Dicentra spectablis is a different story - I had only one large specimen and it did make a seedling a few years back which is now a good sized plant that has different characteristics from the mother. Not sure what's up with that.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 9:08AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

This is very interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I've done some more research and still haven't found any mention of this problem with eximia. There are a number of hybrids that aren't fertile, but that's about all I could find.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 12:00PM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Mine seeds, though not prolifically.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 6:43PM
wieslaw59

@ aachenelf 'still haven't found any mention of this problem '.
Don't consider it a problem. It may be a blessing in many cases. There are actually a lot of plants which cannot be fertilized with their own pollen. Just to mention a few: many cultivars of apple trees, pears, cherries, Lythrum salicaria, some lilies, blueberries, and many more. That's why you have to have at least 2 different trees to get fruits.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
daves10
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™