Flies on sedums and asters?

dsb22(z7 VA)September 27, 2011

Hi,

mostly a lurker here. I recently picked up my first sedums (Autumn Fire) and an aster. Both seem to be quite attractive to flies...swarming would be a little strong, but not much. I was going to use the aster in a container near our front door but am having definite second thoughts about that. Does anyone else have this issue? Anything I could plant near them that flies don't like?

Thanks,

Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

My sedums are covered with bees, but I do know that certain flies are active pollinators. Some breeders prefer flies over bees to do their business.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 10:42AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Food sources for all these critters are very low this time of year, so yes flies, bees, butterflies will swarm to anything blooming in the garden. I have one small bed loaded with asters, mums, sedums etc. The current insect population in this area is just amazing. Part of life.

I've also noticed that flies in particular seek out the warmest spots in the garden to hang out (areas that get the most sunshine). Could that be part of the problem?

Kevin

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:08AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

ignore it.. odds are they wont be interested next year ... who knows what the nursery sprayed on them???

ken

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 12:43PM
dsb22(z7 VA)

Yes, all of the sedums are in the sunniest spot in the backyard and the asters are in bright sun in the front. The flies do look as busy as the bees that are on the plants. I just won't put the asters by the front door. Thank you for the feedback.

Deanna

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 2:53PM
d359

I planted Sedums around the perimeter of my home 4 years ago. Swarming is the appropriate term for my fly infestation. I do have direct sunlight for 6 hours plus a day AND THESE LITTLE BUGGERS ARE EVERYWHERE. I have tried home made fly traps ... no luck bought the fly traps "Super Stinky " cannot be used close to your house . I am contemplating removing these beautiful plants because every time i open the slider at least 3 get inside and they do breed like crazy

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 1:10PM
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

It's nature.......live with it......don't fight it......

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 12:05AM
florauk(8/9)

Some of those 'flies' may be hover flies. Many species are voracious predators of pests in their season. Not everything which looks like a fly is the sort which spreads diseases and frequents unpleasant substances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hover flies

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 3:55AM
More Discussions
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
What groundcover would you mix with Helleborus?
I'd like to plant a new bed of hellebores, but I'm...
magpiepix 5b/6a
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
hey newbie: is not a green thumb you want .. its a ....
brown index finger ....[keep your head out of the gutter] i...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™