apple tree bending over

cybrmattJuly 6, 2013

I have a young apple tree that I got from a home store a few years ago. It seems generally healthy and is even producing fruit, but the trunk is so spindly that it's constantly top-heavy and bending over. It's *really* flexible. I'm concerned that it's going to snap in half in the winds if it is't supported. I've always braced it upright in the past, but it's getting tall enough now that I don't really have any stakes big enough to prop up the top. I was hoping it would have gained more rigidity by now, but it's just not firming up. What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

provide a pic???

explain your fertilizer regimen,please

ken

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 4:36PM
poaky1

I have 3 Mac Intosh apple trees. They are my dads actually. One of them is leaning extremely to the side. I just ignore the lean because past attempts at righting it failed, and my dad would get mad if I removed it. There have been apples on it most years.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:51AM
poaky1

I am getting PO'd about thjis apple tree. I wish I could remove it. It is hard to prune it or harvest any fruit. My dad planted the tree so I will try to tend to it. And the other 2 apple trees.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 3:47AM
ilovemytrees(5b/6a Western, NY)

I use this for my Golden Raintree. It works perfectly, and what's great is it doesn't touch the trunk at all, unless the wind blows pretty hard.

The particular one I use has just has one ring at the top, instead of the rings going all the way down the support, but apparently they're sold out for the season. They're extremely popular..

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardeners Supply Plant Support

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 12:33

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™