What is wrong with this Cherry Tree

waterwise999July 11, 2014

Hi, this is my first tree but it had some problems with it so I appreciate if I can get any helps. I have been looking for answer for a more than a month now but couldn't solve it.

This is a low-chill Mini Royal Cherry I planted in late February this year in San Francisco where temperature is very mild. There is no rainfall from May to October. Last month I noticed that the tree stopped growing and I spotted that the most new shoots were wilted (see picture). There are multiple brown spots on some leaves. The closest problem I found was Cherry Leaf Spot but its symptom doesn't not include wilted shoots. What I'm afraid the most is Verticillium Wilt. I started spraying baking soda yesterday as you can see the white spots on leaves. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any helps.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waterwise999

Here's another picture.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 4:32PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i highly recommend you visit the fruit pros in the fruit forum ...

trees do not grow endlessly all year long ... that part doesnt bother me in the least ...

and neither does a little leaf damage ... but i dont do fruit.. and that is why you need them ...

as a new transplant.. i would wonder if you have perfected watering .... that can be addressed by both tree and fruit peeps ..

i hope you didnt forget to mention.. if it was potted ...

ken

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 5:41PM
waterwise999

It's not potted. thanks for your suggestion.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:26PM
gardengal48

Not Verticillium wilt. But cherries, both fruiting and ornamental, are prone to a whole host of fungal and bacterial problems, especially in damp climates. And the Bay area can be pretty damp at least part of the year with fog and rain.

I see nothing overtly problematic in the photos provided. You might want to post another of the tree overall that might be more illustrative. btw, no need to post elsewhere - the issues with a fruiting cherry are no different from those without fruit (or "flowering" cherry), with the exception of fruit development........and that does not seem to be an issue here :-))

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 3:22PM
waterwise999

Here's a picture of the over three. It's a fruiting tree. What's troubling me the most is all the new shoots were wilted. I'm going to post another photo that shows a newest wilted leaf. I was so glad to see a new leaf as it shows live. But this infant leaf quickly wilted.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:46PM
waterwise999

wilted infant leaf.

Thanks for any helps.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:49PM
calliope(6)

Actually, I think the tree looks good. I have noticed this happening this year on a few of my young peach trees, who otherwise look very healthy. At first I was wondering about fireblight, but peaches do not get fireblight. It looks to me that the other buds are nice and plump and at this point in time, I would not be exceptionally worried about a rare death of a leaf, unless you see it becoming more widespread.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™