Golden Creeping Jenny, where to buy seeds?

wren_garden(zone 5b/6)September 27, 2011

Just finished a total redo of most of the beds. Now I am looking at bare soil again between all the perennials. I have a friend who has Golden creeping jenny as a living green mulch between all the Daylilies, Roses and other perennials in a large bed. It looks beautiful and keeps out the weeds. I would love to do that for a number of the redone beds but on a budget. Growing my own from seed seems the best and fastest way to fill the beds.All the searches I have done come up empty. Dose anyone know where to buy seeds. The botanical name is Lysimachia Nummularia Aurea. It can be referred to as Moneywort too. Thanks! Elizabeth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I've never seen seed offered, but it might be out there. I would think long and hard before ever introducing this plant into my garden again. I did it once and it took about 10 years to get rid of it. It is lovely, but my-oh-my does it spread - and spread FAST!

My warning. Take it or leave it at your own peril.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:14AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

This plant is propagated by cuttings, not seed.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:22AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

one of the most invasive problem plants i ever had ... it is the understatement of the century to suggest you might rethink this ...

your friend already has it... take a hand trowel.. with permission ... dig out a bunch of little clumps... hers will fill in in a week.. and you will be well on your way to the nightmare i lived ..

good luck

ken

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 12:41PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

But it does produce seed. An excerpt from a Master Gardener website:

"Seed capsules do not form readily, so 'Aurea' does not spread by seed as readily as the green type will."

I found a few other references to this plant producing seed, but again they all stated it's usually propagated by cuttings.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:00PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Any seed that is produced is unlikely to produce the gold-leaved form.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 1:12PM
wren_garden(zone 5b/6)

I already have creeping charlie that came with the property. It is green with scalloped edged leaves that can get up to 1 and a half inches wide. I fight it all summer, every summer,in 10 out of the 12 beds. Thank goodness it is easy to pull. I have had Golden creeping Jenny in a part of my garden before. It is much slower then charlie and flatter to the ground.It also has had winter die back and has been burnt out by a hot spell and crowded out by it's taller fellows which has made it easy to keep ahead of. Where as charlie is an iron invader.I understand the nature of these creepers. I have given the same warnings many times to other new gardeners. I deal with creeper menace all summer, might as well be one I want. If it goes where I don't want it, it's not weeding, but lifting a new plant to put someplace else I would like some,lol Well since seeds are out and I will have to spend money anyway, is there another ground cover plant choice that would work better? The area at the base of roses, around daylilies and the nooks and granies. Thanks for your concerns. Elizabeth

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 11:35AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

If you have a friend with the plant can you ask for a few pieces? Don't worry too much about Ken - have it if you want it - I secretly believe he doesn't really like plants very much, except perfectly-behaved trees ; )

p.s. It actually died in my garden.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 1:35PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' also will, if given the chance, escape into your lawn, producing an interesting (?) dappled yellow-green effect. Lysimachialawn is not as well known a malady as Ajugalawn but can be equally pernicious.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 3:29PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Any groundcover will escape into your lawn if you let it--thymes, vinca, etc. You do have to control groundcovers if you have them.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 6:50AM
More Discussions
I love wood Anemones...
Or Anemone nemorosa. They are just starting to poke...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
Sponsored Products
Lucca Duvet Cover by DwellStudio
$249.00 | Lumens
Golden Vantage 36-inch OSWRH198KZ4-36-AG Stainless Steel Wall Mount Range Hood
Overstock.com
Golden Sky Rug 5'6" x 7'5" - IVORY
$1,039.00 | Horchow
The University of Michigan Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Notodden Chocolate 3' 3" x 5' 3"
$83.50 | Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Lynwood Golden Tan
Home Depot
Muse Yellow Twelve-Light Chandelier with Golden Shadow/Champagne Royal Cut Cryst
Bellacor
Southern Enterprises Dahley Golden Oak Lighted Corner Curio Cabinet - CM0695
$349.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™