Evening Primrose 'Siskiyou' - invasive?

sue36(Z5 Maine)September 28, 2009

DH and I were at a great garden center yesterday and I was picking up a few "fill in some empty spaces" plants. I saw an Evening Primrose "Siskiyou' and got one to plant on the west side on my house where I wanted something short with pink. After getting home I read online that it can be invasive. So, what do you advise? Plant it with a large nursery pot around it to stop it from spreading? Plant it off on it's own somewhere where I don't care if it takes over? I'm in southern Maine, zone 5/6.

Also, is all Evening Primrose invasive? I have a yellow one elsewhere in the garden, it's new also.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I have found my Oenothera berlandieri 'Siskiyou' to be invasive - to a point. It seems as though it will invade bare soil areas until it meets either mulch or turf (fescue in my case); it totally stops at the turf but an occasional sprout pops up in the 3-4" thick mulch. It is almost like you can define the space you want it to grow in by mulching around a bare soil area. My O. macrocarpa (Missouri sundrop) has enlarged itself for three years now but has not escaped to other parts of the perennial garden. I can't speak to other species.
hortster

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 1:21PM
mori1(5b/6a)

I have Siskiyou and it can be invasive but I keep it in control by deadheading to keep it from forming seeds and giving the seedlings away.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 3:26AM
patlovesdirt(8 NC)

I agree with Hortster as to how it spreads. It'll take over every bare spot of soil with runners and seedlings. I've pulled out every sign of evidence and had them come back, choking out whatever is trying to emerge from the soil in the spring. While blooming in masses, it's gorgeous! I'd put them where they can do their thing and not be a problem, because they are spectacular in a mass planting while in bloom.
Pat

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:35AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Just FYI, 'Siskiyou' is also listed as a culitvar of O. speciosa, of which there are several other varieties. In any case, they will all spread rather vigorously.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:43AM
sue36(Z5 Maine)

I think I am going to plant it with an edge around it so it can only go so far. I'll just have to watch for seedlings. Later, when it needs to be divided, I'll out some where it can do its thing.

I wish I could find something "invasive" for the mostly shady area I have under birch trees where nothing is happy!

Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 11:01AM
patlovesdirt(8 NC)

Sue - when you thin yours out later, why not try some in your shady area? I did the same thing and while not as vigrous and thick, the ones I put in a really dry shade area are surviving and blooming.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 11:23AM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Sue36 -
I have had pretty good luck with Liriope muscari 'Majestic' under my grove of 7 river birch trees. It does OK in zone 6, gets a little "iffy" in zone 5A and further north. I wouldn't call it invasive against the birches' root competition but it holds its ground pretty well, especially if you give it a shot or two of soluble fertilizer and adequate water during the growing season. You might try a dozen and see how they do.
However, don't make the mistake that I did at first - I got Liriope spicata and it WAS VERY INVASIVE. It took me three years to stop it and get it eradicated!
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 11:47AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Sue, another suggestion for your "problem area" if it can be described as "dry shade" is any of the Lamium.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 12:08PM
sue36(Z5 Maine)

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. It is definitely a problem area. When we bought this property it was where the farmer's rock pile was. DH and I removed all the rocks (did I mention snakes?) and added loads of compost. Garden did great for 2 years until the birch roots took over the compost. Nothing else has changed, but everything got sort of sickly this year. I've pulled out many plants and put them elsewhere. It will be a major project to rehab it next year.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:04PM
emmarene

I suggest Ajuga Reptans for the shaded area. It should be hardy in your zone, It will grow in shade.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 7:03PM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

[I think I am going to plant it with an edge around it so it can only go so far.]

Define edge. I thought a 3' concrete walk would be a good "edge". It wasn't. The runners went under the walk and kept going. I couldn't rip out the walk to get to the runners, so the plant won. I finally got rid of our evening primrose problem; we moved to another house. ;-)

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:04PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

You will be giving away Evening Primrose to friends, neighbors, passers-by, etc. I agree with Gyr_Falcon on your edge idea. They are pretty, but... :)

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:43PM
gardenweed_z6a

It's invasive here as well but I'd qualify that by saying if you love it, you'll be happy it spreads as quickly as it does. It's an attractive, zero-maintenance perennial that sustains pollinators so I'll admit I let it do its thing for the most part in my garden beds. Not even mulch spread over corrugated cardboard slows it down so I'm guessing unless I resort to chemicals (I wouldn't), it's here to stay since it spreads by runners.

Do I wish they didn't spread by runners? Yup. Would I wish them gone? Nope. The bees, butterflies & hummingbirds need as much sustenance as my garden can give them each season.

Oh yeah... word to the wise. I never planted ajuga in my cottage garden bed at the back of my garage but there's a HUGE patch of it growing where I never planted it. Be afraid... very afraid of it unless you really, really love it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 9:29PM
blakrab

Is this Yellow Evening Primrose, or something else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Evening Primrose?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 4:20PM
silvergoldenrod

I love the smell of Siskiyou, but I would not have it in my garden again. I'm still pulling the stuff out from a few years ago. It's very pretty in masses.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 7:13PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I just love people who give a ⢠name to a wild plant. They even gave a Northwestern mountain name to a Texas southwestern plant. Way to go. I know it by O. speciosa var berlandierii. It grows wild around me and I like to place it on walls and let it roam in my grass (what wild grass that I have). I let it wander at will. Yes it gets into my garden , but , hey, I am not a neat gardener. If you are, rip it out now. It is a thug for a small garden and it will cover an area and look best when it is bloom and then , in Texas, it disappears after awhile. Google it up in DG and there are lots of comments evenly decided between positive and negative.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 7:43PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

This plants home ground is some pretty rangy thin soil. Some semi arid wildflowers when given good fertile ground and ample moisture will quickly die from such rich environments. This guy, on the otherhand does not die. it probably thinks it has died and gone to heaven. It has entered the land of milk and honey as far as it is concerned and morphed into a thug.

Mine normally stay somewhat contained, but I starve it. It gets nothing from me. It does go for the deeper dirt. It does not like my thin rocky gravelly dirt but likes the ground that has been effected by leaf litter and the deeper clay of the adobe soils over the thin rocky Brakett soils.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Looking for Dianthus 'Mrs. Sinkins'
Is anyone growing this Dianthus or know where I can...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
I love wood Anemones...
Or Anemone nemorosa. They are just starting to poke...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Welcome spring...
I usually spend most of my time on the Roses Forum...
bethnorcal9
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Will the Epimediums make it?
The epimediums ( I have about 20 different varieties)...
laceyvail
Sponsored Products
White Glass Lamps: 9.4 in. White Color Changing Glass Table Lamp with Remote Con
Home Depot
Montana 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Brown Peridot
$1,399.00 | LexMod
Sonneman | Stiletto 24 Inch LED Pendant Light
$650.00 | YLighting
Adin Outdoor Area Rug - 2'7" x 5'
Grandin Road
Compasso Task Lamp
Lightology
Brass Accented Copper Patio Torch with Filigree Wall Bracket - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Linden Green Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier