When do you WS annuals?

jaggudada(5A)March 5, 2014

I'm in zone 5, when do you WS your annuals such as Zinnia, marigold etc?

If you don't WS, when can you directly seed them in ground?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I'm in zone 5 and I wait until April. It's surprising how quickly things grow once it warms up. But, you don't want anything tender to sprout early because then you have to keep them protected from frost.

Martha

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 9:54PM
kilngod z6b(Zone 6b)

I'm zone 6 and I start planting them mid-March (next week) through early April.
-Tina

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 8:14AM
terrene(5b MA)

I usually sow mine in late March - early April. I sow them in cups and line them up along the south side of the foundation of the house, where it is a relatively warm little micro-climate. It is fairly sunny, at least until the trees get their leaves.

This year it might be later though. I am getting a very late start with wsing and it also might be a late Spring. We still have about a foot of snow on the ground. Winter MIGHT be losing its grip this coming week as it will be going above freezing. But it was still -1F this morning! Yikes!

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 7:02PM
jaggudada(5A)

terre

you said you sow them in cups and line them up along south side...what do you do if the weather freezes up between end of March, early April?

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 8:02PM
terrene(5b MA)

Hi jaggu, yes I use cups of assorted sizes, from 8-16 oz generally, line them up in plastic boxes right against the foundation. The edge of the house will be warmer than the surrounding landscape. This is true all around the house, but especially where the foundation is exposed to the sun. The heat retained by the concrete will keep the containers warmer.

We've had April frosts that has put a nice little frosty coating on my hardy sprouts out under the shrubbery (perennials, etc) but the tender sprouts up against the house weren't touched at all!

If you put the seedlings in a warm sunny spot they will dry out much faster, plus be careful not to fry them.

Here's a pic:

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
Request: Please Share Your Sprout Pics!
My jugs are still buried under snow and I would love...
Mizzteek Z6 MA
Do you remember the 'red border' someone posted a few years ago?
I loved it and would love to try some amaranths. I...
thisbetty
Anyone has started winter sowing in Toronto?
This is my second year doing winter sowing. I started...
chipeony
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™