Platycodon seeds ... do they require cold stratification?

paul_(z5 MI)September 22, 2011

Planted several double white balloon flowers at my folks place that I picked up at a farmer's market. I was thinking of having my folks harvest the pods for me after they ripen and trying to start some from seeds to save some money. Anyone know if the seeds require a cold stratification to germinate? For that matter, any other hints/advice for planting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

No stratification required. Relatively easy to germinate.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 1:57PM
gardenweed_z6a

Swallowtail Garden Seeds website: "Kept at 65-70 F., germination is in 21-30 days. Seedlings are fragile and must be handled with care." I've winter sowed them and summer sowed them--great germination either way. They're late to come up in the spring, so mark where you planted them. This year I laid down cardboard & mulch over top of them by mistake. A couple of weeks later the mulch kept rising up higher and higher. When I looked to see what was going on, I saw my oldest clump of balloon flower coming up under it.

They have a long taproot and resent being disturbed so plant them where you want them. That being said, I dug mine up from my old house and brought them here 5 years ago and they never missed a beat. My blue ones get pretty tall and flop over so I usually whack them down to about 8-10" the last week of May. They stay in a compact clump and produce lots more flowers that way.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 4:01PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Thanks folks!

Nice thing with these, Gardenweed, is that they are dwarves so they have stayed very compact.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 10:43PM
ghoghunter

Paul..just a word of caution. If your plants are hybrids, and you mention they are dwarves so they might be. The seeds may revert back to the parent plant so you might not get dwarves!!!
Joann

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 10:14AM
gardenweed_z6a

I can't say for certain but don't think Paul needs to worry about them reverting. I also grow double white balloon flowers and they come back reliably season after season, growing just 18-22" tall. Right now they're loaded with plump seed pods that I will harvest once they're ripe enough.

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Elk in Dogs for mrtulin
The link is in here scroll down and have fun. Some...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
how to get rid of yucca FOREVER?
the previous owners must have adored them, as there...
creamgogo
Sponsored Products
Glomar Wall Mounted 3-Light Outdoor Belgium Bronze Large Wall Lantern with Arm
Home Depot
Rustic Craftsman Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Lightology
Oxford Outdoor Postmount by Troy Lighting
$768.00 | Lumens
Brentford Seeded Teal Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Henry Street Outdoor Wall Sconce w/ Clear Seeded Glass by Troy Lighting
$276.00 | Lumens
Series 435 Motion Sensor Antique Bronze One-Light Outdoor Wall Light with Photoc
$112.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™