Leaves in Vegetable Garden

mjnoahNovember 6, 2010

I have spread a couple inches of leaves over the vegetable garden. They have some grass in them that is already decomposed and the leaves have been through a mower. Is it better to get them incorporated into the soil now or just let lay on top to decompose? Unless they are in a pile it seems decomposition might be slower spread out over the garden bed.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjnoah

Also, I was thinking of spreading some blood meal over them to help in decomposition.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 12:36PM
mjnoah

One more thing, the ground was plowed to break up hard pan. Is it still a good idea to incorporate the leaves after having been plowed once? Thanks.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 3:11PM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

This could go either way. I've done both, and don't know if there is a preferred method. Putting the leaves down (as long as they are moistened when put in place to keep them from blowing away) on top is an EASY solution. You can always till them in come spring. OR, you can plow them in now, and the worms will have better access to them during the winter months, if it doesn't get too cold. You will probably till again in the spring, so this would cause you double work.

Personally, I don't know that there really is any benefit to plowing them in now, but I don't think there is any harm either.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 4:50PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

If by plowing in, it means putting them down several inches deep, I think it is better to keep them in the top 3 inches.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 6:53PM
Lloyd

I incorporate the leaves based on this information sheet.

Lloyd

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 7:12PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If you leave those leaves on your soil as a mulch they will aid in 1) suppressing "weed" growth, 2) retaining soil moisture levels, 3) and allow the soil bacteria ti incorporate them in to your soil better than you can by tilling them in.
If you till those leaves into your soil you can stir up more "weed" seeds and possibly disturb the Soil Food Web enough that it will set them back several months. Tilling is a lot of unnecessary work.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 6:56AM
tcstoehr

I say leave 'em where they lie. Worms, fungus and microbes are very capable of getting at them from the surface.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 6:15PM
ladon

I would be very careful about adding too much blood meal. It is extremely high in nitrogen, which is good for leaf development, but can seriously inhibit fruit set, particularly in tomatoes. You will end up with a garden that looks great but produces little. A little nitrogen goes a long way. Better to get compost into the soil which is well balanced....IMHO. ;)
Don

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Planting in area covered with "playground" wood chips
I need some advice... I recently had a small playhouse...
jesselangdon
Hate new GW
I hate the new Garden Web! I cannot figure it out!
annpat
Compost is wet and soggy. Can I use it? It's not done yet..
Hi there. My first compost is almost a year old now....
Mikkel Nielsen
Gooey vegetable compost under kitchen sink
Fellow gardeners who COMPOST, I need some advice. I...
valrie87
Unique Problem with smell
I have what I would consider a rather unique problem...
papernpaste1
Sponsored Products
Persian Garden Cocoa Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$479.00 | Bellacor
Garden Grove Circle Rings Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Homestead Bird House - Mahogany
Signature Hardware
Carpyen | Zig-Zag 10.2in Outdoor Lamp
$504.00 | YLighting
Cutting Garden Napkin Bouquet - MULTI COLORS
$98.00 | Horchow