identify this tree please

crobbins56July 21, 2014

this tree is growing where an old house once stood so could have been planted there by the previous owners .it is just starting to bloom this week ,it is aprox 30 ft tall and the leaves are about 6 inches long with deeply serrated edges .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

It's a chestnut tree. Probably a Chinese Chestnut...it's the only species commonly that has any real resistance to Chestnut blight. If you get any nuts in the husks, they'll be good eating.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:24PM
lucky_p

Unless there's another one close by (like within 100 ft or so), most of the nuts won't develop/fill - but you'll still get the malevolently spiky burrs.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:40PM
lucky_p

Unless there's another one close by (like within 100 ft or so), most of the nuts won't develop/fill - but you'll still get the malevolently spiky burrs.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:41PM
huggorm

That is quite late blooming, is there enough time to grow those large nuts in the remainder of the zone 5 summer?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 3:37AM
smivies

Yes...plenty of time to grow the nuts. Cross pollination is critical though. A lone chestnut won't develop nuts.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:04AM
arbordave (SE MI)

Where is the tree located? Hard to say for sure from the photo, but it might be an American chestnut. What do the chestnut experts out there say?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 5:54PM
corkball(4)

Hard to say for sure, but looks very American like. Chinese leaves are shorter, wider and shinier. American twigs also tend to be reddish brown, where chinese are more green.

Could also be a hybrid or possibly European (C. sativa) - I have never seen a sativa in real life ;)

check out: http://www.acf.org/Tree_ID/chinamerover_02.php

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:05PM
crobbins56

thanks everyone for the identification .I have been driving by it for a couple of years and have always wondered what it might be .Even have taken it into garden centers and no one could help .i googled it for further info and think corkball may be right in the american variety as the leaves are long ,slender and pointed .i have never seen any nuts probably due to it being a loner .

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 9:19PM
corkball(4)

smivies is right. I can see burs forming, but unless there is another chestnut to pollinate them, the burs will have empty, shriveled husks in them. Watch the spiny burs in the fall when the weather starts to cool. They will split open.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
Dual Leader Dawn Redwood?
I have a dawn redwood that I planted in April 2014....
Steve Gall
Neighbor's tree roots interfering with mother's property
My mother's neighbor planted a tree right at her fence,...
Bama_Joe
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Can anyone ID this wood? (firewood)
It burns very slowly. It's perfect for nighttime, and...
laura242424
Sponsored Products
Sango 40-piece Nova Brown Stoneware Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com
Edge Bow Square Wall Sconce by Philips Forecast Lighting
$218.00 | Lumens
Designers Fountain Outdoor Wellington LED22021 Wall Lantern - Mystic Bronze - LE
$159.50 | Hayneedle
Switch Plate Tags Antique Brass 1 11/16'' W DEN Switch Plate Tag
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
LZF | Air MG Large Table Lamp
$647.00 | YLighting
Jump Start´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Early Childh
$255.95 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™