Cockspur Thornless Hawthorn

PutsyJuly 18, 2014

I had a landscaping company plant two Cockspur Thornless Hawthorns that seem to be struggling. First of all the trunk itself is very 'bark-y' with the bark curling away from the trunk. Is that normal? Also, the trees keep sprouting at the bottom. I trim them about every 2-3 months. I've had them almost two years. They do leaf but one has some leaves turning reddish already. I was told to water them them twice week and these trees are exposed to full sun for about 6 hours day. Also I feel thorns on the clippings at the base of the tree - so is this really a 'thornless' cockspur? Help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huggorm

Is that tree really alive? It looks dead to me with that bark falling of

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arbordave (SE MI)

The appearance of the bark in the photo is not unusual for cockspur hawthorn. If the trees leafed out well (no dead branches or twigs) and most of the leaves are normal in color, then they're probably doing OK. A small number of off-color leaves would not be surprising since the trees were planted less than 2 years ago. Thornless cockspur is grafted (budded) on common hawthorn rootstock so the suckers will have thorns.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™