Pruning agastache

forensicmomSeptember 12, 2008

I usually prune my off in the early spring when I see new growth starting. This is a beautiful plant. I have 'Blue Fortune' and 'Golden Jubilee'.

My question is about height control. The 'Blue Fortune' is gorgeous but it gets a little bit too big and totally covers up the blanket flowers and yarrow next to it.

Is it possible to prune or pinch this for height control? If so, when and how?

Here's a picture of it last month.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve1young(7A)

Absolutely. I would prune it to 3" when it gets to 6" and you could even prune it again to 6" when it gets to 1'. It all depends on how controlled you want it and how high it grows in its current location. Experiment. I hope that helps. Have fun!

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 4:37PM
tepelus z6a SW MI

I'm going to have to remember this for next year, my golden jubilee got very leggy this year and kept telling myself I need to prune it back. Now it's September, a wee bit too late to prune back for shape now since it'll be going sleepy here soon.

Karen

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 8:02AM
dyhgarden(7b)

Does your 'Blue Fortune' look that blue all summer? If so, you're really fortunate! Mine fades out to a dirty/dusty looking pale blue. Mine is in full sun all day here in zone 7, but you're in zone 7.

The Goldfinch love to eat the BF seeds here in my garden, so I'm leaving it for now. Not pretty, but it's bird food.

Cameron

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
Mail Order Question
I would like to order some perennials on line as we...
huckdog1
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
I got my bees!
My mason bee cocoons came in the mail today. I'm...
mxk3
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™