A question about perennial cuttings

loganladySeptember 28, 2011

Is it easy to take cuttings of both lavandula angustifolia (english lavendar) and a blue mist bluebeard caryopteris (clandonensis)? I want to add a couple to a new garden bed...wondered if I could take cuttings instead of buying new plants. Obviously if I can they would be planted in the spring since I am in zone 7.

Thanks

Beca

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

either try the propagation forum ..

or try googling something like :

'lavandula angustifolia propagation'

caryopteris is a shrub in my world.. and it is very tricky to root woody stems.. including greenhouses.. heated media.. rooting hormones.. and incredibly specific TIMING issues ... [or downright blind luck.. lol] ..

good luck

ken

ps: is this where you tell me you have a greenhouse????

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 4:59PM
gardenweed_z6a

Beca - Caryopteris/blue mist shrub is very easy to grow from seed via winter sowing. I harvest seeds from my plant every year in mid-October. According to my sprout chart, I winter sowed the seeds 12/24 and they sprouted 4/20. It also self-sows from what I've heard; your plant might provide you with seedlings you could transplant to your new bed.

I also winter sowed lavandula angustifolia for the first time this year. It's another excellent WS candidate. My winter sown plants are already 8 inches tall and very healthy. They took about the same amount of time to germinate as the blue mist seeds: sowed on 12/23; sprouted on 4/15. I got the seeds in a trade but they're readily available from a number of online seed vendors, Swallowtail & Hazzard's among them.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 6:30PM
echinaceamaniac(7)

Caryopteris roots in a glass of water in the window in a matter of days. Try it in the Spring.

The lavender is another story. I would skip trying to root that one. It's not easy!

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 6:42PM
loganlady

Sheesh..thanks..I didn't even think to look at the propagation forum...go figure that out. If I had thought about planting this bed earlier in the year I could have found the plants but I doubt I will now until spring-unless I go online $$. Hence the propagation question.

Getting the timing right is always fun in gardening, isn't it?

BTW-Ken I have a greenhouse :) But it's new and it's my first year learning how to use it.

Beca (who is now off to look at the propagation forum...)

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™