Sycamores smell like Sweet tea to me, how about you?

livingfossil(6a Dayton OH)July 6, 2008

I love the smell of American Sycamores and Plane Trees. To me, they smell like Sweet Tea or those ice pops in those cellophane tubes. What do they smell like to you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spruceman

I love the fragrance of different trees, especially of the fallen leaves when a rain is coming. I have noticed how sweet hickory foliage is in spring, but never really focused on sycamore. I will pay special attention next time I get a chance.

--Spruce

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 10:06PM
livingfossil(6a Dayton OH)

I remember walking outside and I would smell this wonderful sweet scent and I happened to notice I was walking under a row of Sycamore trees. When I was in another location, I smelled that same scent around Sycamore trees. If you ever see any fresh fallen leaves, if you bruise them, that sweet scent comes out. Although I have heard some people say they don't care for the smell, but to me it is sweet.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 2:31AM
markinspringborooh

Never noticed sycamores specifically, but I can REALLY dig the fragrance of some rotting gingko seeds in the early fall.

Anyone want to guess what THAT smell compares to ?!?

(;

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 3:41AM
pineresin

Rancid butter and vomit for Ginkgo seed coats.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 5:00AM
stimpy926

lol... I love the smell of Cercidiphyllum japonicium's leaves in the fall, like cotton candy.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 9:20AM
leslies(z7 No VA)

I grew up under sycamores and love the smell of those leaves. Funny, but that scent doesn't actually remind me of any other, but seems both unique and unmistakeable. I always know when there's one around!

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 2:48PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Gymnocladus dioicus also has fresh aroma in flower. Among the more common shade trees a similar floral fragrance is provided by lindens. The frequency of black cottonwood trees on damp sites here means that some areas are blessed with a pervasive balsamic aroma during part of the year.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 5:30PM

To me the fleshy coating of ginkgo seeds smell like feta cheese to me.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 1:09AM
everywhereman

Here in Michigan, Sycamore trees stink to high heaven. Even my wife and kids have taken to calling them 'stink trees'. They smell like a dirty butt and its very strong when its hot and humid. People talk about 'summer stench'. I have lived all over Michigan and can always tell when I am near one of these stinky trees. I have even smelled the leaves up close to be sure it was the tree and not a sewer leak. Maybe in other regions or different varieties smell better, but they reek in Michigan for sure. I think if more people realized its the tree they are smelling, no one would plant them. On the plus side they are very sturdy and usually grow to a nice shape

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 1:43PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Mine have a very pleasant earthy smell. It's not something that I'd go out of my way to inhale, but it certainly isn't a bad smell at all.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 2:21PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I've never noticed this.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 8:36PM
tdsmith_gw(7a)

I have to agree with everywhereman. I always think "sewage" when I smell them. They do have very nice, dense shade, though.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 8:38PM

LOL, that is interesting everywhereman. I guess everyone's nose reacts differently to the smell of sycamores. To me they have this earthy sweetness I can't get enough of. Most people I know only realize the odor when I point it out.

I don't get sewage scent from them. I just think of sweet tea.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 4:00AM
beng(z6 western MD)

livingfossil, that description seems close. I tried it -- mashed up the leaves. Faint, but there's a sweetness apparent.

Offhand, I'd have thought Sycamore would have an unpleasant odor.

The big sycamore on my lot somehow escaped anthracnose this yr -- when the cool, rainy period occurred in early May the new growth hadn't emerged enough to get infected.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 1:10PM
jungle_of_palms

they smell like a mixture of rotting beef and armpit. their leaves seem to be brown more often than not. horrible tree! at least around here.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 5:57PM
j0nd03

^^^ blasphemy!! I think they smell wonderful. An earthy herb scent with just a touch of sweetness. Only have to wait another couple months and I can enjoy it again, firsthand

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:38PM
poaky1

I had a Sycamore in my yard for a few years, before disease struck. I now have a London plane tree. I have a large Sycamore near my back property line. I planted it, but the property is not mine now. I will try to sniff in my back yard for a while. Just to see if I smell a sweet tea smell. I planted the tree GUESSING 1998 or later. It is about 12 feet over MY property line, and into my neighbors. He is a nice guy, so we don't fuss over property lines.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 10:11PM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

I love the smell of Southern Magnolia leaves, and also enjoy the smell of hickory leaves.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 12:29AM
aquilachrysaetos

I guess people's noses are different. I have always liked the smell of sycamores. It's one of the first plants that i particularly noticed the smell of. There were some growing around the church i attended when i was small. I loved that smell. They smell like some sort of sweet spice to me.

I have three in my garden :2 london plane and one cal sycamore. Sometimes i love to just sit out there and enjoy the fragrance.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 3:44AM
More Discussions
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™