Composting food waste with wood chips and then...

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)November 10, 2010

Here is a one I haven't heard about: In a big tub, they will mix food waste with wood chips. Then they blow some air into it for three days and later use the product in vermicomposting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
borderbarb

Albert ... The advice/technique described in that blog are rife with misinformation. The food waste/wood chip mixture plus some air and 3 days MIGHT prep the material so that the composting worms will 'eat' them. But that has not been my experience. May I suggest that you look in on the excellent vermicomposting blog = redwormcomposting.com While food scraps are usual worm 'bedding/food', one seldom sees anything about wood chips....worms don't seem attracted to material that breaks down as slowly as wood chips do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermicomposting

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 7:04PM
beeman_gardener(5)

borderbarb.
Not strictly correct. I feed my worms wood shavings used for horse bedding.
This stuff is a few years old, but give it to the worms and in a matter of days the worms produce the most wonderful dark brown soil additive you've ever seen.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 7:31PM
curt_grow

The key here is they say he will!! Not he does. While blowing air will help the composting to some degree, to speed up that much is a stretch. Worms do like wood but I suspect that is because it can get wet and still pass air. I use wood bedding(shavings) for a top cover and odor control on some of my bins. While the worms like it I can assure you it is not gone in days. If it was I would not use it.
beeman how long do you age it? Wood makes great compost.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 8:24PM
borderbarb

Depending on moisture levels, wood shavings a few years old, might be considered compost. But the OP blog spoke specifically of 'wood chips' ... a whole 'nother animal.
The basis of my outdoor worm pit is tree trimmings, covered with horse manure and it is a very happy worm pit. I'm about to dig the whole thing out and will see what the bottom layers look like. But I agree that 3 days to completion would have to be explained more fully. It would take a high worm population to process it in so short a period.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 9:29PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

What is needed to digest any vegetative waste is a food source (Nitrogen), some moisture, and some air, although digestion can take place in an anaerobic (in the absence of air) atmosphere, biomass digesters. This operation sounds much too energy intense to be touted as a good example of recycling our waste, even though it does appear to work. Nothing I read said it was ready to sell as compost in 3 days.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
How to prepare my soil (eastern PA)
Newbie gardener here going into year two. Last year...
mfran12345
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™