How much should I water my newly planted Maple?

jb_nj(7)July 6, 2008

I just had a ball and burlap Red Sunset Maple (Acer rubrum) planted. It is about 12' high, with a 3-1/2" trunk diameter. I am zone 7, NJ. Weather here has been warm and very humid lately (typical NJ summer).

What should my watering schedule be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

watering is an art.. NOT a science... no such thing as a schedule in the art world ...

water when the tree needs water .... insert finger.. or dig a small hole to find out if water.. moving through your soil .. in your yard.. in your climate.. is getting to the rootball ...

you need to provide water.. for 2 or 3 years.. to all the roots that were cut off for transplant ...

superficial watering of the surface.. will insure death ...

put the hose on trickle... for an hour.. go dig a small hole.. and see how deep the water got.... if it did not get down the two or three feet of the rootball size.. water for another hour.. go dig another hole .... all this digging.. outside the rootball is not going to harm the rootball.. since it was just planted.. do NOT dig within the rootball ... just next to it ... i am talking hand trowel... not shovel ....

once you determine how long it takes to get water down there .... turn off the water.. and put the hose away ...

and do NOT water again.. until your finger.. inserted to the second knuckle.. under the mulch i hope you applied.. indicates that the soil is dry or hot ....

as much as the roots need water.. they also need air ... do NOT drown the thing with too much love ....

good luck

ken

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 8:34AM
jb_nj(7)

Thanks Ken. Where should I locate the hose spout when I leave it on trickle? Should I water both inside and outside the root ball?

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 11:03PM
stimpy926

Just put the hose under the tree, near the trunk. If you give it plenty of water, on a slowwww deep soak, the entire planting hole area will become saturated. Mulch the entire area, 2-3" deep, keep it away from the trunk.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 9:15AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Checking the soil outside the rootball is not always enough. Unless the soil of the rootball is the same type of soil as the surrounding soil, a rootball can become saturated while the surrounding soil is relatively dry or can completely dry out while the surrounding soil is moist. SO, checking the rootball for moisture is also of key importance.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™