Bradford Pear Tree

MarcoYukonJuly 27, 2014

I have a few Bradford trees that have their leaves turning yellow with dark brown patches. It is affecting most of them. I lost 2-3 last year and probably will lose more if I don't do anything about it. Here are some images. If you have any idea what could be happening, please let me know. These are established trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MarcoYukon

Additional image

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:18PM
tenacre(Z5 SW MI)

Have you inspected the bark on each tree very closely, from the ground up, looking for evidence of borers?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:34PM
tenacre(Z5 SW MI)

...also:

1) how old are these trees?

2) were they bare-root, container, or B&B?

3) do you install them, or have it done?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:36PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Marco, your Bradford problem looks different than what I am suddenly seeing around here. Did this start with the outer eight inches or so of branches turning brown? That just looks different than the fireblight which seems to have modified itself to attack the Bradford clone monocultures Lowes and Homedespot have created.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:57PM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

toronado,
It could still easily be fireblight (not saying that is what it is), as FB also makes cankers. Entry through a flower on a small branch along a larger branch, then working its way downward over the course of the growing season. That's one way to produce a canker, resulting in what we see in the pictures, but not the only way.

Marco, as much as most of us here don't like these pears, I'm still sorry to have to tell you that you are probable better off removing your remaining pears, and planting something different from another family of plants. If you are open to this, ask here, and many people will be happy to help you if you will provide relevant information.

JMHO
Arktrees

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™