Leggy Nasturtium advice

eden(z6/Mo)March 20, 2009

I started my N. seed with a paper towel in a baggy. After sprouting, I put them in peat pots as they don't like to be transplanted. They look great, but they are getting somewhat leggy.

My last day of frost is April 15th. Lowest temps get to 35 at night and highest temps get to 70 right now. How cold can N. take?

I have a light system set up in my basement. Currently they are in front of my patio door getting a southern exposure.

I have also taken them outside when it is in the 5o's.

Any suggestions? Can they stay outside now in their peat pots? Should I put them on a light system which is down in my basement with no windows but stays relatively warm.

I really like N. and want to use a lot of them this year. I intend to mingle them with some of veggies (squash family) for companion planting,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seedmama(7)

Hello eden! Welcome to the Winter Sowing forum. You don't know it yet, but you have accidentally stumbled into a very friendly forum with an incredibly well kept gardening secret! Winter Sowing here at the WS forum isn't about sowing seeds in winter. It's about a specific method called winter sowing, and it doesn't use a light set up. We sow our seeds in milk jugs outside in winter. It is a technique which produces fabulous results with no leggy seedlings. I've included a link to our FAQs which I would invite you to read. It's not too late to winter sow nasturtiums and I believe you'll be very pleased with the results. We let Mother Nature (who's quite the gardening expert) do our work for us.

Regarding the seedlings your already have, it can be tough to recover from legginess. Perhap you could visit the Growing from Seed forum as they are more on topic with your question. Alternatively, you may get some help in our conversations area on a thread called "Growing Under Lights Party."

Better yet, I hope you'll stick around and try winter sowing. So many of our members peeped in our doors just like you and found something unexpectedly wonderful, and wonderfully unexpected. Here's a link:

Seedmama

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing FAQs

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 12:03PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

Nasties do well with wintersown method. I use the same method, just starting in spring

Karen

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:09PM
jamesjr_54(6)

My nasturtiums last year got overrun with aphids. And nothing worked. They're all volunteers at this point, so maybe I'll get the ladybugs out early this time.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 3:32PM
v1rt

kqcrna,

Your Nasties are gorgeous! Do you still have some seeds of it? :D heheh

Again, it's very beautiful!!!!! ;)

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 3:34PM
eden(z6/Mo)

James Jr, I am planting the nasturtiums partly for the aphids to be a host plant instead of the tomatoes and other vegt.
Seedmama, thank you for the very friendly invitation to this forum. I use winter sowing and have for years. I have 45 soda bottles of seed on my deck right now. And I try to limit it!! :)
kcrq: "I use winter sowing ...just do it in the spring"
It seems that is sort of what I have done except I put them in peat pots vs. pop bottles. I am confused.
It seems my nasties like cooler weather, we have hot, humid summers, and they like partial shade here.
Seedmama, I used to live in Enid and then Tahlequah.
I guess I could put my nasties in the peat pots in soda bottles.??

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 4:50PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

karen, - I always loved that picture of your nasturtiums - they are so pretty

carrie

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:48PM
seedmama(7)

Karen, You've post a lot of pretty pictures, but I think this one takes the cake! I'm so envious. Heat gets my nasturtiums before they have a chance to do well.

Eden, stop back by any time. We'll leave the Oklahoma light on for you. Enid and Tahlequah are both charming family towns.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
NJ annua flowerl seeds
Good morning! Can I put out my seeds now? They are...
Karen Ulisse
The thrill of the sprout
Just checked my containers and have two types of lettuce...
caryltoo Z7/SE PA
how long for annuals to sprout?
I moved and cannot find my records from last year....
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
A different category for winter sowing!
You may not think of cacti as needing winter sowing,...
madabouteu
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
Sponsored Products
Stilt Floor Lamp by Blu Dot
$499.00 | Lumens
Juicy Salif Juicer Miniature by Alessi
$50.00 | Lumens
Dragonfly & Cattails Single Wall Decor
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Dragonfly & Cattails Double Wall Decor
$139.00 | FRONTGATE
Herman Miller | Nelson™ X-Leg Table with Veneer Top
YLiving.com