Can I save this sugar maple?

daniel_clJuly 9, 2013

Hello,

A couple years back we received a maple sugar tree from the city. The tree had a little fungus problem on the branches, and this year the problem had become severe and the trunk is affected. Please follow the link below to see a picture:

http://novelforum.org/tmp/garden/unhappy_sugar_maple_tree.jpg

I also see some little black bugs living inside the cracked bark.

My question is whether I can still save this tree by cutting near the base of the infected trunk. The growing new leaves suggest that the tree root seems to be doing ok.

Thanks!

Daniel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Looks like the main trunk of your maple is completely dead. It's hard to tell for sure, but it also appears that something may have girdled your tree's trunk (animal/string-trimmer damage?). Yes, cut the trunk just above ground level (maybe a little lower than your cut line, shown in the picture), and let a root sucker take over.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:10AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would cut it...

and reduce to two suckers....

and after bud break next spring... reduce to one.. and maintain one ...

looks a bit telephone-poled ... any idea where the root flare is???

ken

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 8:16AM
mulchmama

It's hard to tell from the photo of the trunk, but if you see bark splitting on a young tree, you might have experienced frost cracking over the winter. This happens with young trees that have thin bark, when you get alternating freezing and thawing, and it is usually found on the southwest side of the trunk. It's very common on Lindens, but it can affect many trees, including young maples.

In any case, the main portion of the tree is gone. The good news is, you have very healthy growth coming up, and we had a tree in exactly the same condition when we moved into our home six years ago. I wanted to take out the eyesore. My husband insisted we let it be. Well, it grew into a beautiful multi-trunk maple, but unfortunately it's a Silver Maple. I am thinking that was the rootstock and the original homeowners had planted a grafted maple. Imean, NO ONE intentionally plants a Silver Maple, right?

I'm still not crazy about the tree because I don't like Silver Maples, but my husband insists if it's a tree and it's alive, it stays. The new growth on yours doesn't appear to be Silver Maple, so just look after it, and when it's big enough, begin pruning it into a nice tree form. Try to get it to a single trunk.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 8:27AM
daniel_cl

Thanks for the tips.
I followed the advice and took out the trunk. Hope for the best!

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 4:03PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

The growth down at the base looks more Red Maple than Sugar Maple to me...FWIW...

Regardless if a red or a sugar, if grafted, the rootstock sprouts can grow into a perfectly nice tree, but it might not be the same as what died above...if it's a red maple (Acer rubrum, which to me it looks like), it might have yellow or orange fall color as opposed to the red of the cultivars.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Help choosing a fast-growing shade tree...
Hi there! I am a newbie when it comes to all things...
dancingal
Prunus mume are blooming in the South.
Pictures taken on February 3, 2015 at Wuhan (capital...
jujujojo_gw
Does anyone on here have a Cercis canadensis - Eastern Redbud Tree?
I want to get a couple of them. Are they wind tolerant?...
ilovemytrees
How long does it take oak tree leaves to fully grow once they wake up?
When the leaves start to grow on oak trees on any tree...
tlbean2004
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
Sponsored Products
Veneto Luce Montana Dark Bronze Angled Bobeche Wall Sconce
$290.00 | Bellacor
Hardwood Corner Laptop Desk
Overstock.com
VIG Furniture - 2226B Contemporary White Leather Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
Wusthof Trident Classic Ikon 4-pc. Steak Knife Set
$289.95 | FRONTGATE
Gray Granite Stone Vessel Sink 24"x16" - TORRENCE
Living'ROC
Michael McHale Designs | Tribeca Bar Chandelier
$489.00 | YLighting
Area Rug: Fashion Shag Brown 5' 3" x 7' 3" Transitional
Home Depot
MaxLite RR82640W 8 inch can LED Retrofit, 4000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
People viewed this after searching for: