fringe tree in upstate ny

slice4444August 29, 2013

I was in South Carolina this past summer and I bought a small fringe tree. When I got home to Syracuse, NY I planted it in my garden bed because the tag said "zone 4 - 9" and I'm in 5b. But after doing some research, I saw an article that said it won't survive north of central NY so apparently, I'm right on the edge.
My question is should I wrap it with something this winter (or protect it otherwise) just to make sure it survives? We get quite a bit of snow here and it will surely be buried completely from probably late December - late February.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

how small is it???

that is can be buried in snow cover???

snow cover will probably give you one zone..

and a rose cone also ... until you outgrow it ...

death in winter is RARELY ... temp alone .... which is basically what zone is ... you have to mix in winter winds.. winter drought.. improper planting.... and winter sun ... [and note.. many of those are solved by snow cover] ...

ken

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 7:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slice4444

So ok I'm trying to understand your reply. The tree is about 4' tall. But it's by my house and driveway so snow collects there as it falls off the roof and driveway gets shoveled. It will definitely get buried. I'm in zone 5a actually... So you say that snow will give you one zone. That may be the case but I'm still in zone 5a and I still read that these trees don't grow north of where I live. I can look into the rose cone idea but I don't know how big they come. I see your point that the snow can actually be beneficial because it gives the tree water and protects from cold winds. Thanks for your input.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 5:33AM
More Discussions
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™