How to plant a tree that's in a large wooden crate

StuartLawrenceAugust 23, 2013

Hey guys,

I purchased a weeping Serbian Spruce which is contained in a large wooden crate at least 2 ft by 2ft. The tree is about 6 feet tall. How should I remove the tree from the crate and plant it in the ground? The tree in the crate looks like it would be too heavy for me to move and lift. Any help on how to get the tree planted would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

There's no easy way to do this. Best method is probably to prepare the planting hole, slide in the tree still in its container using planks or plywood so there's no lifting. Then carefully remove the crate. Then backfill, tamping and watering as you go so you eliminate air pockets.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 5:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i know dave.. in the conifer forum has dealt with these.. because i noted i liked his recycled use of the boxes ... in other words.. he did not destroy them ....

i am not sure.. he visits the tree forum

i would not plant a conifer in august.. in MI ... i would place it.. box and all in shade.. until mid to late fall.. when nights are reliable cool ... and days more temperate ... all you need is a couple hundred degree days after planting

ken

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
Dombeya blooming!
A tropical hibiscus + hydrangea like flowering tree. Notice...
jujujojo_gw
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™