Oh no--sprouts!

lovesblooms(7a)March 5, 2014

On 2/25 I planted some scarlet flax (among others) in the basement, which has hovered between 40 and 50 all winter. I wasn't able to bring them outdoors, and today when I went to bring them out finally, I found lots of sprouts.

Should I bring them out and just leave the top on (they're in a green plastic soda bottle cut the same way I did the plastic milk jugs)? Or keep them indoors until...? It's supposed to get warmer next week, and I'm expecting more containers may sprout around then, but at least it would be natural since they're outdoors...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovesblooms(7a)

Welp, yesterday I brought everything out--including the scarlet flax sprouts by mistake. I only remembered later and then thought, well, we'll see. Not like I don't have anything to replace them. Last night we had a low in the late teens. I went out this morning and checked--the babies are still standing straight, their seed coats still hanging on like little caps on the cotelydons. No sign of damage.

I'll keep an eye on them and see whether the succession of warm days/freezing nights in store for us over the coming week or so does anything, good or bad.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™