Plants you're finally getting around to trying

aachenelf z5 MplsSeptember 27, 2011

Sometimes I feel like I'm always late to the party - plant wise that is. I grow around 300+ varieties of perennials in my small garden, but there are certain groups I just haven't gotten around to. I mean plants everyone else in the universe seems to have, but for no particular reason I don't have.

A few examples:

Just got my first Eupatorium this fall.

I probably have 4 varieties of grasses, but I love so many of them and always say I'm getting more. I don't.

Just got my first sedum this past spring - 6 of 'em and I'm enchanted! Why did I wait?

For years now, the only "new" Echinacea I've grown is Meadowbrite and I haven't had that one all that long. Finally got a couple more this spring.

I'm sure there are other things, but that gives you some idea. Am I alone in my lateness at acquiring common things?

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aachenelf z5 Mpls

down

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 6:57PM
crackingtheconcrete(7a)

Nope, I do the same thing. I'll look at something every year in a plant catalog and think, "I'd really like to grow that," then I skip past it.
Later, I overcompensate by getting a bunch of the same kind before trying just one or two lol
This year's new things were:
Buddleia
Asters
Sempervivum
Primula

I'm really hoping they do well for me!

I also didn't do Sedum for a while, because it seemed too common, but it's lovely, easy, and reliable, so I'm trying to collect more types :)

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 7:44PM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

It took me awhile to get on the catmint bandwagon.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 11:36PM
yeonasky(z8b VancouverBC)

Not a perennial, but zinnia is the one that comes to mind as a plant I'd love to try. I don't have much shade, but I drool over hellebore. So some of it is that I don't have the right growing conditions. Some of it is that we don't get some plants here in Vancouver until a year or so after they come out in the states, if they come here at all. By then I often forget about the new plant. I do the same as you with grasses, (and hostas), I want so many, but only have 3 varieties. There's always next year, and creating shade. :)

Yeona

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™