Poplar problem Zone 8

War_EagleAugust 21, 2013

I have a Tulip Poplar that has some sort of borer....I see small piles of saw dust near base of tree. This tree has been stressed because of new construction. It is massive and I would hate to lose it. What is the recommended pesticide to spray with? It is also losing a lot of leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salicaceae(z8b FL)

It is probably too late. You might try a systemic like imidicloprid - but success will depend on many things, such as size of tree, uptake of insecticide and how much damage has already been done.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:49AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

It is massive

==>> you need a professional tree doctors opinion ... isa certified

not some online peeps winging it.. w/o pix no less ..

ken

BTW .. it is not a poplar ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:20AM
War_Eagle

Ken it is a poplar and not sure how you would know without picture. Got a certified arborist out yesterday and he said in his opinion the tree is gone. I might try imidicloprid....as suggested...what do I have to lose now? Where would I find this? A certain product name?

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 8:27AM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Hey War Eagle,

I am still burning wood from some trees I cut and others I had cut down a few years ago. I know it sucks.

If the pro decided it was not worth trying to sell you a treatment plan because the tree was too far gone I dunno man. Is the tree over your house or anything important to you? If so give it a pretty short leash. Ya got the proper attitude to fit in here and I wanna keep ya coming back.

I guess try to post a pic or two of the damage and one of the whole tree. What Ken was talking about was the scientific name of the tree as it is called something different across every state line it seems.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this what you own?

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 8:55AM
War_Eagle

Liriodendron tulipifera......Not over my house but a major "visual" for "framing" my front door. Old pic (few months old) but its the one on the left of the front walk. As I look back at this construction picture....not real happy about the stucco guys using it to lean their scaffolding on. As the arborist told me....too much root damage from front walk and driveway is what weakened it and as a result the borers moved in.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 12:10PM
gardengal48

FWIW, Ken IS correct - Liriodendron tulipifera is NOT a poplar (Populus species) even though it carries that common name. Not even in the same family.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 2:50PM
War_Eagle

Linnaeus would love you guys!

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 8:21AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Names aside, your arborist gave you the correct reason for the tree's decline and why the borers moved in.

I suggest you have the tree removed sooner rather than later.

If it goes down -- and it will -- that's a lot of house, and/or people, to damage or kill.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 6:25PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

A shame. I love polular lirondendron tulip trees, Sylvatica gum.
;)

All kidding aside, if my neighbor did not have one for me to watch grow I wouod have one for sure.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™