Should hydrogel be rinsed off bare root tree before planting?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)August 22, 2014

I have found a couple of larger local nurseries who are willing to sell me bare root plants as soon as they arrive from the wholesaler next spring.

One of them says the trees will be dipped in hydrogel when they arrive. I've heard of it and I know what hydrogel it is, but what I'm wondering is should you plant the tree with the hydrogel intact or rinse it off first?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would remove anything contrary to mother nature ...

years ago.. i had a hosta supplier do such.. i left it.. many died.. i dont know if the goo was the cause ...

research and advice.. can make mother nature.. and the process predictable ...

as far as i am concerned.. this is adding a variable ... and too many unknown variables.. usually lead to a failure ...

that said.. if you are doing many.. experiment with leaving it.. on a few ... no one ever learned anything without an experiment .... but i would probably keep the media rather dry.. which is what you should do anyway.. for a tree .... [after good watering in on the transplant, of course]

all that said, again .... sounds like an interesting way to insure the roots dont dry out completely in shipping ...

ken

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 10:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

In the past I had had a nursery say to wash it off. It was a perennial plant though, but i would guess the info is the same.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Help me identify stem/branch?
Hi, I just joined and am usually in the rose section,...
msdorkgirl
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™