Red Worm Composting - New And Need Help

DarkyNovember 5, 2013

Next month I'm planning to buy the Worm Factory 360, I've emailed the company this question but I got no reply.

I've been doing a lot a research, but my one question remains unanswered. I need to be able to get about 20-25 pounds of compost per month because I have a huge garden. This thing would be great if I'm able to output that much per month.

How would I go about doing that? How many worms would I need, etc?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joeworm

worms eat anywhere from 1/2 their body weight to their full body weight daily, depending on the environment and food source.
they need at least one square foot space per pound of worms.
a lb of worms should produce between 15-30 lbs poop monthly.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 8:51AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Vermicomposting Forum - GardenWeb has been a source of good information in the past. You may want to ask there. They are described as "This forum is meant for the discussion of vermicomposting and vermiculture--the raising of earth worms for the creation of a healthy soil. "

This post was edited by albert_135 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 15:09

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 2:59PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Striving for 20 to 25 pounds of compost per month may well be much too ambitious, especially for someone just starting, and that will require a tremendous amount of input material.
Look for anything about vermicomposting by Mary Applehoff for help.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Vermicomposting

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 7:06AM
robertz6

Worm composting does not sound like the proper composting system for you.

Suggest you consider a cheap outdoor system which can provide you with greater amounts of compost. I like my two large mesh bins, low to the ground. In the right week of fall weather, shredded freshly fallen leaves (I have oak, sweet gum and maple) pretty much self-compost. Core temps about 120F today, with zone 6.

Indoor worm composting, or vermicomposting (has its own forum), is great for fisherman and those only needing a small quantity of compost.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 4:44PM
robertz6

Worm composting does not sound like the proper composting system for you.

Suggest you consider a cheap outdoor system which can provide you with greater amounts of compost. I like my two large mesh bins, low to the ground. In the right week of fall weather, shredded freshly fallen leaves (I have oak, sweet gum and maple) pretty much self-compost. Core temps about 120F today, with zone 6.

Indoor worm composting, or vermicomposting (has its own forum), is great for fisherman and those only needing a small quantity of compost.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
Jar Test
What's your analysis of my jar test. It seems I have...
jon2412
The case against compost tumblers
I am complete against tumblers. They don't drain well...
tropical_thought
Can I compost black walnut shavings and safely use the compost?
I do wood working and I use a lot of black walnut wood....
mike758
Kitty litter in compost
I use wheat kitty litter and we mostly flush it down...
yugoslava
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™