Starting Thuja Green Giants from seed

MrsBoutin(5b)August 17, 2014

Hello!

I just bought some thuja seeds and I have no idea what to do with them. I have about 400 feet of backyard that I need to privatize (just one side for now) and thuja's at the local green house go for $25-35 each which to me is crazy...so I thought about trying my hand at starting some.

I have read about different ways to start them 1) soil in ziplock, in fridge for upteen years (not literally) 2) freezer, drown in water then plant 3) plant in a "greenhouse" and let'er fly or 4) plant where you want them outside and cross your fingers.

Has anyone ever tried started thuja's by seed? and if so, what technique did you use and was it successful?

Right now I have two in a mini green house on my window sill that I planted yesterday so we will see what comes of it, if anything.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

You can start Thuja from seed, but they won't be 'green Giant', they will just be generic arbs.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 12:39PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Would be expected to show a range of characters of the parent species, a resulting hedge might not be uniform. Would also be expected to need a cold treatment before being able to germinate, you should be able to find valid information on growing Thuja species from seed on the web. Otherwise maybe at a college library. You will have to decide which source seems to be giving you the straight dope and proceed from there. Where I live I think a typical routine in a commercial setting would be to plant the fresh seeds when mature in fall in a cold greenhouse and move on the resulting seedlings the following year. An important point in your case would be what harvest the seeds you were sent date from, it seems kind of early for this year's crop to have been ready. In which case if they have been stored warm since last fall viability may have fallen markedly.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 2:11PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

buy one.. and propagate some thru rooting ...

i filled a milk jug.. and got about 12 of 25 to root .. in perlite.. with rooting hormone.. on bottom heat .. in winter ... in a gallon baggie ... under lights ... there.. the whole formula.. good luck .... lol

thuja are one of the few CONIFERS.... [there is such a forum].. that root rather freely ...

check Dirrs manual propagation of woody plants for more info ...

ken

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 7:00PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

You can also buy seedling Green Giants (7-10 inches tall) online for $2.50 each.

I'm not going to put in a plug for the company offering this price, but I did buy my own Green Giants from them (a larger size from what I remember) over a decade ago, and they are doing well (the tallest is close to 20 feet). Nice trees, relatively carefree except for a little deer browse in their early years. They weren't as fast-growing as advertised, but then again I didn't go nuts fertilizing them.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 11:48PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

They root so easy from cuttings, why bother to go the seed route?
Mike

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 1:22AM
MrsBoutin(5b)

I live in a small town and we didn't get any green giants this year.

I tried to order some online but I live in Canada and all the sites are American so they can't ship them to me....

Seeds were really my last resort for this year.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 11:45AM
smivies

Can you give us a hint to where in Canada you live? Might help to find you a source of Green Giant for next year.

When you do get your hands on one, propagating from cuttings is the way to go. From seed, you won't get the true Green Giant and you're putting yourself at a ~3 year disadvantage over cuttings.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 2:48PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It's already been said, but I will try to make it clearer...You cannot propagate 'Green Giant's from seed.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 7:50PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If the plant isn't on the market in Canada then you will just have to use something else - including perhaps seedlings from your seed purchase, if you get any to come up. There is probably no particular reason why you need 'Green Giant' specifically - and if you do not want a "Giant" it might actually not be suitable anyway.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 8:12PM
jocelynpei

I grew some generic thuja plicatas, not green giants. I planted them in a flat in the porch, and the porch slightly freezes over winter. Seedlings appeared for 3 years and I just potted them on or planted them outside as each one appeared large enough. Perhaps green giants are the same that way???

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:17PM
sam_md

Hi Mrs Boutin,
Get your small GG's from this link for @ US$4.95.
They will ship to Canada but there is an added expense for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: US source Green Giants

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Just bought a house. Need help identifying trees!
Hello all, I have no real knowledge of tree types and...
gavinhall
Rutgers Dogwood/Azaleas for corner lot feature - Venus a good one?
Went to a local nursery and finally found some Rutgers...
Bama_Joe
Sponsored Products
Ranauculus & Sylvia Wreath
$29.99 | zulily
Nonstick Mini Muffin Pan
$11.99 | zulily
Ginkgo Lafayette 4-piece Hostess Set
Overstock.com
Standard Sham - WHITE/CHAMPAGNE
$169.00 | Horchow
52" Quorum Prizzm Acrylic and Chrome Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus