need a plant that doesn't grow (much)

ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)September 29, 2013

geez! I am constantly pruning my 'walker's low' catmint, lamb's ear, germander, purple skullcap (not pink, so much!), chives, thyme, and more!

The city lady who oversees such crimes as flowers flowing into the sidewalk has found me a repeat offender, and has a penchant for sending me warnings. So, this weekend I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed and am ready to wave the white flag.

I REALLY need to find some accompaniments to my rose beds, that don't want to be huge...low ground covers that shyly move towards a full look...

Sadly, I love a chock full garden, bursting out the sides, but must contain myself (and my garden) to not continue my crime streak. Any ideas??

ANyone out there with an overzealous officer? Wondering if a regular supply of donuts would help....geez...wish she would spend as much time overseeing the dog poppers!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Maybe something more upright like some small annuals. Some of the plants you mentioned spread more slowly than others. Use those. Actually if you go out and trim every couple of weeks, that should do it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 12:47AM
gardenweed_z6a

Have you considered hellebore/Lenten rose? They're slow-growing and don't get very large although I wouldn't describe them as a ground cover. Another slow grower is Daphne x burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie.' Hellebore is hardy to Z9; Daphne is hardy to Z8 so both should grow well where you are so long as your soil is to their liking. These are growing in sandy loam in my garden. In my experience Daphne does best when grown on a slope for better drainage.

Both of these are currently growing in my garden and after several years I've observed that neither is bothered by any indigenous pests and are care/maintenance-free.

Pachysandra terminalis might be a good choice for low/slow-growing groundcover.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 7:57AM
lesmc

I just added 18 Circus coral bells into my garden. I tucked them under roses and in open spaces. The bright lime green color seemed to brighten up the garden and the repeat seemed to add to the design. I know you will get many excellent suggestions. Lesley

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Name this flowering plant please.
This plant did not die this winter, even tho we've...
jand3737
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
What groundcover would you mix with Helleborus?
I'd like to plant a new bed of hellebores, but I'm...
magpiepix 5b/6a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™