Garden (and Life) Updates

moonwolf_gwMarch 26, 2014

Hi everyone,

My perennials are all planted, and now just waiting until it's a tad warmer to start sowing the annuals. I'm in the mood to plant, but the weather is very cold today. I only have one single Lupine sprout to report, but the warmer weather headed our way, may start The Green Wave, I hope. Rain forecasted for my area on Friday and Saturday, so I hope the seeds will get a nice drink.

Tomorrow is my 24th birthday. Celebrating by watching Frozen (I have not seen it yet), and eating some Dairy Queen ice cream cake. If there's a break in the rain on Saturday, I'm taking my pruning shears to start cutting back the dead flowers at the theatre. I get gardening responsibilites this year, since I asked that I can donate my WS seedlings to them (not all, since I do have other people that want some).

Suggestions on what annuals I can start planting soon are more than welcome. I have Datura, Mexican Sunflower, Sweet Annie, Zinnias, Four O'Clocks, Nicotianas, Amaranthus/Love Lies Bleeding, Scarlet Runner Beans (a first time try for these), Larkspur, Alyssum, Ageratum, Cypress Vine (labeled Hummingbird Vine annual), Salvia, Calendula, Globe Amaranth, and Peony Poppy. I may pick up a couple packs of Sweet Peas, too. I know those like cooler weather and the varieties I saw at Wal-Mart, fortunately, tolerate heat.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellenr22

Hi Brad,
I am also waiting to plant annuals. Usually I would be planting now, but with the unusual cold weather, I don't feel motivated.

It's in the low 20's here with the wind chill.
very extreme for almost April.

I hope I can get started soon.
Sounds like you have a good mix of annuals.

ellen

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 2:38PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Happy 24th birthday Brad, I hope you have a wonderful day. I've just sown some perennials so far this year, no farther along than this garden renovation has come, I doubt I'll do much with annuals. So I hope you, and others, will post pictures so I can enjoy those :) Again, happy birthday.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:24PM
drippy(7bAL)

Wintersowing in containers? Now: amaranthus, larkspur, sweet Annie, alyssum, calendula, peony poppy are definite. Many of the others might do fine being planted now, too, but I would hold off on zinnia for another few weeks. Good luck! It's been the endless winter here (we don't get snow, but it does get cold). Between the crazy temperature swings and the wind, I have not had a very good winter sowing year - and for other reasons, I have to hold off until the end of April now, but that will still leave time for plenty of good stuff.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 10:35PM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you, everyone!

I might get started on them soon. I have other garden chores, to do, too. Mainly pruning and pulling out dead annuals/veggie plants, but the ground is still pretty frozen for the latter chore. It's overcast today, with some rain this morning, so maybe the ground will soften up in the next few weeks.

I have amaranthus seeds I aquired in trades, but they aren't labeled what kind. One just says "Amaranthus" and the other says "Red Amaranthus" with some growing info. Just yesterday, I bought two packs of Scabiosa "Summer Berries" and "Old Spice" and "Mammoth Mix" Sweet Peas. It was a good birthday :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
When to sow annuals?
Do you think it is a valid rule of thumb to use the...
smdmt
easiest annuals to winter sow
so i have all my perennials out, and i'm beginning...
gardendaydreamer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™