30 gallon leaf bag =

doggiecopNovember 19, 2013

A thirty gallon leaf bag, full of leaves will turn into X of compost over time.

What is X????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
japus

My apologies, did not pertain to question

This post was edited by japus on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 11:20

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 7:46AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If the Carbon to Nitrogen ratio is close to 30 to 1 and the leaves are moist enough, but not too wet, the bacteria will work on them. However, if the leaves are dry and that C:N ratio is not near that 30:1 ratio they will not and the leaves will be the same the following spring as they were when put in the bags.

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 9:07AM
toxcrusadr

Volume reduction in composting is typically in the 5:1 or 10:1 range. You're looking at a bucketful of compost, roughly, depending on how compacted the leaves are now.

It can be done by weight, but I don't have ratios in my head, and it varies a lot more when calculated that way because of different moisture content. Fresh grass clippings would have a very different weight ratio from start to finish compared to dry leaves.

Most experienced composters don't find it necessary to figure that out. For me it's more about where I have room to make piles, how do I store the leaves I have, are there enough greens to go with the browns, etc. I do what works and get a few batches of compost per year for the gardens. :-]

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 12:11PM
doggiecop

Thanks toxcrusadr,

I have landscape company's coming on a daily basis to dump truck loads of leaves, I turn them over with my Kubota. In addition I bring home the 30 gallons bags.

I was just wondering on what the bags will reduce to in compost.

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 9:38AM
toxcrusadr

Wow. I can see the need for doing some rough calculations when you're talking about that kind of input volume. I'd say the 5 or 10 to one ratio is going to get you in the ballpark.

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 12:03PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

The more moisture contents, the smaller final product.
In the case of fall leaves , it will be reduce to MUCH LESS A THAN 10:1, if you also considering dried press volume of the final product. Even a barrel of dry leave (packed) is more air than solids. If you powdered it and press it will reduce in volume considerable.
EXPERIMENT: Take a few cups : Dry them. Grind them in your coffee grinder: PRESS THE VOLUME. You will get a pretty good idea. This is just PRE composting. AFTER composting it will be reduced further more.

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Shredded cardboard for mulch
Is it a good idea to use shredded cardboard to mulch...
plantveggies
Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?
Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread...
greengardener07
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™