What is the best tree guard to put around the trunk for winter?

ilovemytrees(5b/6a Western, NY)August 13, 2014

Tree wrap, a tree sleeve or say one of those plastic mesh tree guards?

And how do the branches fit in those things? Do you bend the branches upward? Will it hurt them if you do that?

We have already put individual fences around my young 4ft tall maple trees, buried 8-12 inches deep, but I'm not taking any chances anymore. I want to make damn sure voles don't get to my trees this winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shillanorth Z4 AB

When I lived up north, I used hardware cloth - it comes in a roll and I just cut it and made a sleeve and crimped it together. I had a lot of voles and no more girdled trees in the spring.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 2:00PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

hardware cloth...keeps out rabbits AND voles. Two biggest issues in my yard. One issue you do run into, once the snow piles up is that rabbits can now just browse higher up on the tree.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 3:40PM
devonhubb

Has anybody tried tinfoil on young trees? Will that keep rodents at bay?

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:27AM
ilovemytrees(5b/6a Western, NY)

Devonhubb,

I just read here,at the link I'm providing below, that tinfoil was useless for one person trying to protect their peach trees.

I don't know which protection I'm going to choose, but I'll have to decide in the next 6 weeks or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb vole protection

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 11:10AM
elleau

Plastic sleeve tree guards are recommended the most. Before winter comes, I buy three hardwood stakes to help it stand. Then at the base of the tree guard, I pierce the stakes through a weed mat as to control water and sediments from entering through. Then, I can comfortably hibernate during winter season without worrying about the young trees getting iced up. Plus, no more voles pester my vegetation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Guards

Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 11:29PM
wisconsitom

Couldn't get the tree guards link to open, but what we use-by the thousands-are white, corrugated plastic draintile-type cylinders with a slit cut on one side for placement/removal. White is important-you don't want things heating up as they might with black plastic-and if you've really got a bunch to protect, these are the way to go.

+oM

Bookmark   January 30, 2015 at 8:46AM
krnuttle

On young newly planted tree, I leave the sleeves that are put on at the nursery that identifies what kind of tree it is. On the place where I buy trees these sleeves are about 5 inches wide, and about 12 to 18" long protecting the tree until it becomes quite large

Bookmark   January 30, 2015 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Help/how to maintain Aspens
Hi- we moved into a house with large mature Aspens...
Kate
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
Newly planted Leyland Cypress browning on top
I live in South Carolina- clay soil, and just planted...
justjewels19
Sick Cherry tree
One of our cherry trees has these weird bumps/exposed...
mariberi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™