Now if That Isn't Somethin'!!!

arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)September 28, 2011

We are in our third yr of being the happy owners of a very unusual variegated plant- a mulberry tree, "Paper Dolls'. Great splotchy deep green and cream variegation. Well, we both noticed a month ago that,per normal, all the fruits had been eaten, but not per normal, a great many of the leaves had disappeared(and no sign of bugs or disease). So yesterday My Love sees a rustling in Paper Dolls and what was up in it and devouring the leaves?? A W______ck!!!(Much like the Scottish Play,we do NOT say the word [so pl se don't! we call it a "W"]. But can you believe it? Last yr. we had rats eating the fruit on a variegated korean dogwood out front, and this yr. we have a W eating mulberry leaves. what the hey?! we have put melon netting around the tree base and hope this will dissuade the thing. A small one but a W nonetheless.

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

If a W----ch is the same as a groundhog, I've seen them up in trees. But only to escape my dogs. Never saw one browsing up there.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 6:38AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

yep, but if you could see the tree, you would see that he ain't been browsin'; he's been on a MISSION!!!
best,
mindy

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 12:30PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's really not unusual to see these animals climb trees, either to escape a predator or to find a meal. Nuts, berries, fruit, juicy buds and probably even strips of bark, much like their cousins...squirrels. I'll bet you'd find lots of pictures on the web.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 12:48PM
greylady_gardener

well I sure am in the dark! haha

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 6:27PM
hudsonriverbug

If you have plenty of room around your property, someone with a good shotgun or rifle will solve your problem right away.

We had a neighbor who couldn't bring himself to 'clean out' the 'chucks under his garage, and they proceeded to tunnel under lawns, buildings---took over the entire neighborhood! Elderly neighbor fell down into several of his tunnels before he found someone to get rid of the varmints. Those caught with Hav-A-Heart traps were back in the yards before the folks who took them to the 'country' to drop them off could get back home. Good luck! This one sounds well-fed and ready to supply you with endless hours of anguish and entertainment unless you really want to 'fix' the problem.

(Sorry PETA enthusiasts. These things do too much damage to go uncontrolled.)

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
Elk in Dogs for mrtulin
The link is in here scroll down and have fun. Some...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™