Finest compost ever,easiest also !

klem1December 22, 2013

I have an old metal farm building where I grew grapes against 2 walls until the animals ate the tops off 3 years ago. Why and how that caused me to have worthless vines ever since is another subject. I quit pruning so the vines pretty much covered the building over. In preparation for grafting a new grape I tasted this year,I set about removing the overgrown vines back to rootstock. Where the vines laid on the roof and caught dust and fallen leaves there was a 3 inch layer of unbeleable compost. The texture was more like worm castings than compost. I give you my word that not once did I go on the roof to turn,amend,water or otherwise worry with it. We have had drought conditions the passed few years and it does hit triple digits in Texas several days each year. I wish those who suggest composting is an art to be studied and mastered could have been present.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

For some of us that Ma Nature would make compost of vegetative waste is a given and not a surprise. Ma Nature has been making compost for eons without any interference from man.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 6:42AM
lonmower(zone8 Western Oregon)

"Where the vines laid on the roof and caught dust"

The thought that "dust could be caught" sends shivers up me timbers. Here in Western Oregon we complain about the rain, but we would not know how to respond to dust blowing in the air.

I'll take the rain and complain no more

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 12:59PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

What's rain? N Ca Nancy

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 9:55PM
klem1

Texans have long been thought to be train robbers but it's just not true. State law requires a boy to have a gun before his 2nd birthday and everyone wears bandanas to keep dust out of thier lungs.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?
Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread...
greengardener07
Kitty litter in compost
I use wheat kitty litter and we mostly flush it down...
yugoslava
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
The case against compost tumblers
I am complete against tumblers. They don't drain well...
tropical_thought
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary Cotterill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™