Compost Day

piranhafemDecember 29, 2010

Today I finally felt up to some manual labor, so it was compost day. I harvested 3 wheelbarrows full of well composted mulch from the tumbler, which I use to finish the compost from my Earth Machine bin. I spread it under some hungry mulberry trees. Then I transferred 2/3 of the commpost-in-progress from the Earth Machine bin into the tumbler to fill it.

I had a bunch of coffee grounds/filters to add, but I have been unhappy with the way the paper filters just don't seem to break down well. I keep finding wadded-up, mostly dry filters in the midst of my otherwise moist and decomposing pile. So I shook most of the coffee out of the filters, then put the big pile of filters in a bucket with rainwater from the rain barrel. I tore them up a little by hand, then attacked them with my immersion blender! It worked beautifully. Poured the slurry on the compost.

Next I raked up the last of the leaves from the nectarine tree and put them in the bin. I picked up a bucket full of little ornamental citrus that had fallen off another tree, and since those also break down slowly if thrown in whole, I attacked them with a shovel, then a hula hoe, to make sure they were banged up a bit before tossing them into the bin.

That was fun, but now I'm sore!

--Maureen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjeanmc

Glad you got motivated.
Kind of an aside; I also "hang out" in the holiday forum. For a moment, and I'll admit it, a long moment, I thought there was some kind of National Compost Day. Wondering how one would set the table for such a celebration!

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 10:53AM
curt_grow

I agree I think pumpkin day/November 1 would be a great day for it in the U.S. and Canada.;-)

Curt

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 11:58AM
Lloyd

Compost already has a week. I tried telling the boss I should get the week off from work just "because" but he is one of those non-believers!

Lloyd

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 12:08PM
nancyjeanmc

Lloyd, I'm thinking there's a civil rights issue here. What kind of bigot is your boss?

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 12:16PM
Lloyd

I use one of my photos of my large mounds of screened 'post as my screen saver at work....he already thinks knows I'm nuts so going down that road is not going to get me far!

But on the positive side (of being a whacko), I only have 4 years to go till full retirement and about a year and a half of sick leave credits so who knows??

Lloyd

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
Gooey vegetable compost under kitchen sink
Fellow gardeners who COMPOST, I need some advice. I...
valrie87
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™