Red Sunset Maples yellowing

MKAugust 4, 2014

I have five maple trees that were planted Spring 2013. All has been good until just this last month when the tops started turning yellow. We've had some extended hi 90s weather but we've been watering via drip irrigation twice a week two hours at a time. I have not fertilized this spring. Why do you think the tips are yellowing? Too much water?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hand trowel ... dig 3 or 4.. 6 inch holes... AND FIND OUT IF THERE IS ANY MOISTURE AT DEPTH ...

when i run irrigation on trees... i run it 6 to 8 hours on my sand ... because that is what is required with my engineered system of x gallons per hour... taking into account my sand...

how did you come up with your number of hours???

and the way to find out.. is to dig the holes.. and discover how its working...

you dont say how large the transplants are ... but if they are over 6 feet... you need to have the entire root mass planted dampish ... but not sodden.. for up to 3 years ...

and it isnt surprising.. it appeared.. when the heat hit ...

it has absolutely nothing to do with fert ... and as far as i am concerned.. you NEVER fert trees ... especially if you fert your lawn ... the tree will get/steal all it ever needs ...

one might suggest that a soil test will tell you if anything is lacking.. i feel its much simpler to look around and see if trees... shrubs.. plants.. are thriving.. in general.. and if they are.. then the soil is good enough for your trees ...

pic is you want more info ...

ken

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I didn't realize Red Sunset Acer rubrum was suitable for zone 9 in California...

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™