What tree is this

ipabrewerAugust 20, 2014

Hi, I have a tree growing in my backyard, and would like to know what it is, before deciding to replace it or let it grow. Thanks for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Poplar, Cottonwood (Populus species). Maybe the tree in the background is the same species.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 12:56PM
georgeinbandonoregon(z9 OR)

possibly the northwest native black cottonwood/western balsam poplar populus trichocarpa. however, whichever species it is, poplars and cottonwoods are not good for small spaces---they grow very big and very fast and have aggressive roots that can ruin septic lines and break up concrete pavement/house foundations. also with age the trees can become brittle and drop branches on you or your neighbors property or people. if you do have LOTS of space a potentially great tree for shelter, shade, or wildlife habitat but probably not in a suburban back yard, sad to say.,

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:02PM
ipabrewer

Thanks for the answers. It seems like I have to replace it with something else before it gets bigger... Any suggestions for a small backyard? NW area, Portland.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:37PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

How about Catalina Ironwood, Lyonothamnus floribundus subsp. aspleniifolius. Smaller tree, narrowish grower. Also this might be a good blog for you to look through, Portland Tree Tour--all sorts of trees actually growing the the Portland area (not my blog, I just read it).

Here is a link that might be useful: portland tree tour blog

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:45PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Regarding the comment in the blog linked to above that the one Catalina ironwood is "huge" because they only grow 20 ft. tall in cultivation, Seattle had at least one 33 ft. tall and another 23 ft. tall ca. 2005 - and the species has been recorded 55 ft. tall in the wild.

Anyone planting the tree this far north should be aware of - and not bothered by - the risk of having it damaged or destroyed by a killer winter.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:27PM
georgeinbandonoregon(z9 OR)

the options for small trees in your area are fairly large and which you choose may depend on what you want it for---shade, screen, ornament, all of the above? some trees to consider---kousa dogwood (cornus kousa) and the evergreen dogwood c. angustata (aka c. elliptica)---like the cultivar "empress of china", some of the larger Japanese maple cultivars (acer palmatum "bloodgood" for example), some of the larger crepe myrtles (lagerstromea "natchez" for example but several others), silk tree (albizia julibrissim "rosea" or "e.h. Wilson" for example), red flowering horsechestnut (aesculus Pavia), evergreen forms of the sweetbay magnolia (magnolia virginiana ssp. australis like "henry hicks" and similar types) and smaller forms of the southern magnolia (like "little gem" and "bracken's brown beauty"), strawberry tree (arbutus unedo) or arbutus "marina" both evergreen, the evergreen portugese laurel cherry (prunus lusitanica---NOT English laurel p. lauracerasus), and for the tropical look the Chinese windmill palm trachycarpus fortune (plant it in a spot protected from cold winter winds which can shred the foliage). hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Walnut tree in Berkeley?
I'm trying to find a walnut tree to draw in Berkeley...
terry94705
Help/how to maintain Aspens
Hi- we moved into a house with large mature Aspens...
Kate
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™