Manzita

MisterLeadFoot_Z9August 27, 2014

I am in the Sacramento foothills. Would a native Manzanita tree be OK within 6 feet of my pool? I'm thinking of a 2 footer. Roots are not supposed to be invasive, but I want to be sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RugbyHukr(23)

The manzanita will be okay for your pool.

But the real question is, "will the pool water (splashing, etc.) negatively affect my manzanita?.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 3:44PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The small flowers or fruits might get into the filter, which could be a bother.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:08PM
jbraun_gw

The tree should do OK for you. The question you might want to ask yourself is am I OK with cleaning all of the leaves out of my pool? Personally I wouldn't put any tree within 25' of a pool.

Being an evergreen tree Manzanitas lose their leaves in the summer when you will want to use the pool.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:46PM
MisterLeadFoot_Z9

I'm thinking that because the spot for the tree will be at one end of the pool, splashed water will be a minimum, and even if there is a lot, it should be fine.

I'm not worried about the flowers and little fruit, either. I have crapes and Roses in the vicinity and already have some petals that get in the pool. What really irks me is the 10 garbage bags of maple leaves that I pull from the pool every winter, from a 20+ year old silver maple in backyard. Fortunately, it's on its last month of life, as I am taking it out because the horrendous roots are eating my property.

P.S. I wish I had proof-read the title of this thread, because there doesn't seem to be a way to edit posts on this forum, once they're posted.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:55PM
MisterLeadFoot_Z9

J Braun, I should have mentioned that this tree will not be very tall, maybe 6 ft. And, it's supposed to be a slow grower. I plan to keep it like a Bonsai, if it wants to get bigger.

That said, I didn't know evergreens "she'd their young in the summer". Does that mean they don't drop stuff in winter?

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 8:07PM
georgeinbandonoregon(z9 OR)

well actually most evergreen trees and shrubs can drop at least some of their leaves at ANY time of the year---they generally just don't lose ALL their leaves at any one point in the year---or they would technically be "deciduous". OTOH, just to show their are exceptions to this "rule" the California native coast live oak (quercus agrifolia) can lose most of it's old leaves in the spring (but then very quickly replaces them)--so go figure, LOL..

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™