Need recommendations for hearty, fast-growing trees..

mnottoAugust 27, 2008

Hi -- We live in central PA and have a small backyard with another house situated closely behind ours. We already have a six-foot privacy fence, but it just isn't doing the trick.

About four years ago, we planted five birch trees along the fenceline to help aid in our quest for more privacy. They have grown a lot, and we really hate to get rid of them, but they have never done well. Every year we have had issues with them. One is a river birch and the other four are Jacquemonti biches. We have had a tree doctor out to visit, have followed all of his suggestions (watering, fertilizing, systemic treatment, etc.), and still these trees suffer during the summer and lose their leaves early. We are done with them! We want to replant with something that is not so touchy.

Does anyone have recommendations for a fast-growing, hearty tree that will be well situaed to our climate? It should be something that can handle full sun. We are looking for something that does not get to be monstrous... no more than 30 feet in height.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

"hearty"??? Trees don't have hearts!

Maybe try one of the smaller oaks, such as Blackjack Oak Quercus marilandica. Or an American Hornbeam Carpinus caroliniana. Both PA natives, so well suited to the climate.

Resin

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 1:44PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Carpinus caroliniana, while one of my favorite trees, is an extremely broad tree, so it may be too broad for your needs. Why not look at Magnolia virginiana (flowers and fragrance too), redbud, Halesia (flowers, no fragrance).

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 6:40AM
Dibbit(z7b SC)

If you want evergreens, then there are a number, ranging from broadleaf to conifers. Arborvitae (Thuja) has several cultivars that might work, as would an Eastern red cedar (Juniperus) cultivar. Hollies, if the prickly leaves won't be a problem, are another possibility. Some of the viburnums may be semi-evergreen for you. Wax Myrtle might be another one to consider, although it does tend to sucker into thickets.

I would strongly suggest that you research FULLY the mature heights and widths of anything you are considering, as the hang-tags that nurseries/growers put on their stock, for whatever reason they have, lists the heights and widths at 10 years! Many species have smaller or narrower cultivars (while some don't) so you MAY be able to find one that you love but which in the original species is just too big....

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 1:40PM
ncsteele(Zone 5 Iowa)

My first thought was a Shademaster Honeylocust, but it will get a bit bigger than 30 feet (nice dappled shade, though). Maybe an Amur Maple (invasive?), Japanese Maple or a serviceberry.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 1:57PM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

Redbud is one of the smaller trees, as are some of the red maples. And many of the crab apple trees fit your criteria also. Many dont fruit.

I hope you vary your selections. Always makes for a healthier venue.

Like ncsteele, I love my honeylocust. ( I have skyline or something like that) It has grown quite tall, but remains a dainty and graceful specimin. Best of all, no leaves to rake, as they are small, and sort of melt into the grass.
Pondy

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 2:19PM
jlaitar

How about a maple. Red Maples grow fairly quickly (3 feet per year) and reach about 30 to 40 feet depending on the type you get. They have nice red flowers in spring and have very nice red leaves in fall. They might be a little wider than you might like though.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
Tree Planted Too Deep - Too Late To Raise
Hi all, I've been searching for some guidance on this...
damonb10
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
Beautiful Trees In Bloom Around My Neighborhood.
Here is the Yoshino Cherry Tree(i think) next door....
tlbean2004
Evergreen Shade and Privacy Trees for Houston Texas
I live in Spring, Texas, which is in climate zone 8b....
duren27
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Sponsored Products
Illumine Lamps 24 in. Dark Walnut Table Lamp CLI-LS450498
$97.99 | Home Depot
Silk Ficus 7-foot Tree
Overstock.com
Maria Theresa Gold Nineteen-Light 30-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Teak
Bellacor
Hannibal Roman Chess Set - CB132
$259.99 | Hayneedle
Live Immortality Herb
$14.99 | zulily