Clipping an avocado tree?

KangaDeuxAugust 17, 2013

I have a nice avocado tree grown from seed, mostly out of curiosity, and have pretty much fallen in love with it, as if it were a child. After moving it from water to soil, its growth has exploded, and has grown to a height of about a foot, with a few small leaves on top. I really can't keep it outside all year, because winters get really cold here, and have to keep it inside. Can I clip the main stem to keep it from growing upwards, and make it grow a bit bushier? I am a bit leery of doing this, because its a tree, and frankly, I haven't seen to many trees continue to grow after having the trunk cut. Since it is a seedling, is it okay to do this? Also, can I keep it in a pot for its lifetime? I can get bigger pots than it is currently in. Will it grow in proportion to the pot size? Or will it just keep growing and not be able to support itself, and eventually die? Any general tips are also appreciated! Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

please review the link.. for a general discourse on such ....

once you have your base issues covered.. perhaps we... or the houseplant forum.. or the fruit forum ... can provide answers with a little more specificity ...

good luck ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™