head back a maple "whip" or let it go?

joeschmoe80(6 (Ohio))August 20, 2014

I just bough a couple sugar maple trees from a local guy who grows them from seed in his backyard.

They look healthy, nice, big, deep green leaves, both are nearly 6' tall, however, the trunks are thin - maybe 1/2" at the base, and one has only one branch that is 2" long (and it looks one one that broke or was pruned off opposite that one), the other has maybe 3 or 4 short 2 or 3" branches, and nothing else.

Most trees you'd see in a garden center aren't much taller but more heavily branched due to being headed back a couple times. However some say that's not the best thing to do anyway.

Should I cut back these maples or just let them "do their thing"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huggorm

Just let them do their thing, I think your trees are better than those from the nursery. They will probably branch out next season, especially if you plant them in a sunny position.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I'd just let them grow. You'll get a better form than a headed back tree anyway. As they grow, just watch for the usual - crossing branches, included bark, etc.

By the way, if you haven't planted them yet (I assume they're in pots) I'd just keep them in bright shade and watered properly, then wait until about Oct 1. to put them in the ground.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Newly planted Leyland Cypress browning on top
I live in South Carolina- clay soil, and just planted...
justjewels19
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
Sick Cherry tree
One of our cherry trees has these weird bumps/exposed...
mariberi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™