My Box Elder tree is losing bark

toomuchglass(5)August 10, 2011

I know it's a "junk tree" but it's huge & provides my yard with much needed shade. In the past 2 years , I've noticed more and more Bald patches on the upper trunk where the bark has fallen off. There's about 5 bare spots ranging from about 6" to 12" in diameter.

The wood in the bald spots look fine . We got rid of all our box elder beetles ( thank god ) and I can't see any other bugs. Is my tree sick or is this common ?

Thanks for your replies ~Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j0nd03

Pics please :)

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 1:18PM
toomuchglass(5)

What was I thinking ?? I should have posted pics !!
(sorry ) Here's the major bare spots :

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 1:39PM
j0nd03

If the tree appears otherwise healthy, it looks like the bark fell off of damaged wood that has calloused and healed (from the beetles or old storm damage?). But I know next to nothing about boxelders in general. I would not be worried, though I would remove the loose bark and show off the callous cause I like that look. That also exposes the tissue to air preventing pooling of water and possible rot issues.

John

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 1:45PM
toomuchglass(5)

I had to laugh - I liked the look of the "bald spots" ,too . My hubby kept telling me to quit picking at it . It's healthy except for the spots. Thanks John - I'm on my way to pick off the hanging bark :)

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 2:01PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

there was severe damage to the tree.. and its healing over.. MANY years ago ... [where have you been.... lol]

as to whether the damage harmed the structural integrity of the tree.. is left to more pix ..

ken

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 8:50PM
toomuchglass(5)

Hi Ken ! I loved your reply ! LOL .... That tree was here before I was - I moved into this house 19 years ago and I never saw it going bald. No trauma at all . It's losing bark like my husband is losing hair ( sssshhhh ---don't tell him I said that )
We had a tree service trim it a couple years ago ... they were so good - they knew what to cut and what not to, so it can grow out . It's gotten so many new branches ... it's filling in beyond belief ! It still has those bald spots. I guess it's not hurting the tree after all . I'm glad I asked ... I'm so bad at gardening - I have a black thumb. I was hoping I couldn't kill a TREE !! LOL

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 9:50PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Toomuchglass, I ditto the views of others, encapsulating an old would.

My point of concern comes from a guy who had a branch of a white ash fall on my driveway a few years back. I should have known better, the tree had lost another branch off the same point before I moved in, encapsulation of that hole was happening but slowly, there was rot.

That is an interesting wound healing up at a branch union none the less. If the tree is out in the yard overhanging nothing I would not worry. If it is overhanging the house I dunno. Have someone look at it.

Best of luck.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Chinese Pistache Pruning
My parent's have two Chinese Pistache that they are...
scottt60514
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
Grafting trees - shower tree + mango + avocado
Hi, The house Im about to buy has a shower tree right...
Daniela Andrade
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™