Palm Trees

Mrainey1234August 26, 2014

First I was so anxious to plant my 2foot red maple tree. Planted It in hot weather, needless to say, beautiful leaves fell off, just have a stem now. Nursery said tree not dead mulch and. Leave alone, he guarantees a new one if this one doesn't come back. Listen to others.

Palm tree has a diease can you identify it. What can I use.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

there is a tropical plant forum ... if not a palm forum... you might find other experts to opine on this plant ..

but that wont stop me.. lol ... when is the last time you cut off the old old branches .... its supposed to be done yearly or so ...

if you havent ... and this is one of the bottom most .. oldest fronds.. if that is the right word ... then it really doesnt matter what you are seeing.. or thinking about treating for such ... ask yourself.. why is your first thought.. WHAT TO USE????

because MAYBE what you are seeing is old age ...

i cant really tell.. from your pic ... and i am presuming.. that it was not recently planted ... you gave us more facts on the maple.. than you did on this plant ...

i wish you luck ...

ken

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 2:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

That does not look like normal aging of a palm leaf to me. I believe your palm is a Butia (probably capitata), otherwise known as a Pindo or Jello Palm. It might be a fungal disease of some sort. In general these kinds of issues are more or a problem with excessive humidity. Have you had excessively humid or wet weather? Have you been watering frequently? To reduce the chances of a palm getting this, try avoid wetting the leaves if watering. The palm does not appear to be crowded by other plants (ventilation is useful). Also, I would remove the most affected leaves as this might aid the spread. Good news is that a palm can completely grow out of this. The leaves that are already affected will not revert to normal, but new growth will be fine once conditions improve.(I once had a Canary Island palm delivered to me from Miami that came covered in black spots, figured it was related to South Fl.'s Summer humidly, as Phoenix prefer a drier climate....I kept the plant and soon the new leaves grew in fine.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible diagnosis

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
Help my dying tree it's leaves are drying
I found a dying tree and brought it home just to have...
sashaprokaski
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™