Edges of leaves turning brown on dwarf pear tree

wilsocnAugust 27, 2011

Hi everyone

I planted a dwarf pear tree about 3-4 months ago here in KY and today I noticed that a lot of the leaves are turning brown. A lot of the browning is taking places on the edges but I suppose it is working its way inwards because a few of the leaves are all brown.

The tree is planted in fairly heavy clay which I have read isnt the best but a neighbor does have the same tree and it is doing well and producing lots of fruit.

Until recently we have been experiencing pretty intense heat and very little rainfall. I did water it a couple of times with just yesterday being one of them. I noticed that the leaves were drooping and today they are perky but brown. I honestly dont know how long it has been that way because I just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.

I have spotted quite a few Saddleback Caterpillars on the tree but I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Any ideas on what normally causes browning of the leaves? The brown parts are also dead and crisp btw.

Thanks everyone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the planting was a tad late.. and it does not have the roots to hold on to 'perfect' leaves ... especially int eh heatwave

wait until it dries.. water as you will then go dig a small hole ... and see if you are actually getting any water down into the root zone.. where the tree needs it ...

if it sopping wet 6 to 12 inches deep.. then stop watering completely.. until it dries at depth .. a potential problem in clay ...

all that said.. just admit to yourself that it is september.. and from now until October ... its all down hill ... and the leaves are going to get worse and worse looking ... until they fall off the tree ...

personally i am not concerned about bugs this time of year.. they will all be dead in a month or so ..

ken

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 2:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wilsocn

Thanks for the input, Ken. I have wondered before if its getting the water it needs in the right places. I try and water it well but the clay is like concrete when it dies out on top. I haven't really seen any signs of new growth either aside from a couple of suckers (not sure if that is the correct term) on the base of the tree. Hopefully it takes off next Spring.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™