Oyster shells

josko021December 14, 2009

I can get my hands on ~30 gals of oyster shells, but have no means of crushing them. Is there any useful purpose for these in the compost, garden, etc? We do have naturally acidic soil, and when left in the garden, they seem to take about 2 years before they're thoroughly pitted and easily crushable (by a spade, say).

What's a reasonagble thing to do with oyster shells?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minitrucker

I found a small bucket of assorted sea shells and broke them with a hammer, it took a while. They should act like a bone meal in the long run. Mine are in my tomato/pepper bed. Cool find

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 4:11PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Oyster shells are a very good source of Calcium in the garden, provided they are crushed. Your University of Massechusetts USDA Cooperative Extension Service should be able to provide information about how much would change your soils pH by how much.

Here is a link that might be useful: UMASS CES

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 7:01AM
forestelves

If I where you I would put some of those shells in the ground near your trees and shrubs. It's a slow release fertilizer.

I learned from my neighbor that they put Oyster and clam shells in their dwarf peach tree pots so they never have to worry about Calcium because it slowly release it fertilizer to the tree and all they have to worry about is the Nitrogen feedings for the plants.

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Gorilla hair?
I'm wondering about pros and cons of using redwood...
cakbu
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Using Compost as Mulch
I have a large perennial and rose garden. I have used...
spinach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™