Hey MulchMama! A Q for U....

christinmk z5b eastern WAOctober 5, 2013

So on the purple/blue thread of mine awhile back we talked about how you chomped your pitcher sage back early to keep it smaller.

I totally forgot to ask what time of the year you do that! Is it early in spring or later? When would you say is the cut-off (he he) date for that shearing? A month before bloom? Longer?

Thanks much! I moved my plant the other day so I could see it better and suddenly remembered I ought to have asked you about this, lol. ;-)
CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulchmama

Funny, I was thinking of your question the other day when I was cutting back all my FLOPPED pitcher sages! Either I forgot to cut them all back, or they just grew like weeds after I cut them. One thing is certain, they don't branch out from the cut stems. I have a couple that just stayed shorter and bloomed, but none responded the way mums, asters or sedums would.

To answer your question. I began cutting them back when they were about a foot tall and then one more time before mid-July. We're warmer here than you are, so I don't know how that would affect timing. Since they bloom in August here, I give them at least a month to set their buds.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 3:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Ahhh! Thanks so much MulchMama. Interesting that they don't side-branch. I was thinking they would act like mums when you pinch them back. Guess I will do a bit of experimenting next year with them and see what works best. Thanks much..
CMK

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
Its alive!
Our area experienced the coldest average temperature...
rouge21_gw
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Names of these two plants?
Can someone help me with the names of these two bushes?...
rocklandguyZ8,SC
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
pulsatillas
anemones was a better name
daves10z7annv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™