Winter Abutilon Care

arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)October 31, 2010

We're expecting our first frost tonight so i'm scrambling to remind myself instructions for various tropicals. Here's a good piece I just found. Have any of you had success with fall transplant of abutilons from outdoor pots into smaller indoor pots for the winter? (my huge glazed outdoor pots are too big to bring indoors.)

have you found that a continual fan will keep out whiteflies?

thnx much,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: abutilon care

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

A fan is not going to keep whiteflies away unless you have it set to "Hurricane Force", and that won't be too good for the plants. Continual vigilance and regular spraying will be needed to prevent a whitefly buildup.

Being a sucker, I have two abutilons growing indoors, one under fluorescents and the other in a sunny window. Past experiences have not been good, but there's always the chance I'll discover the magic formula this time out.

If bringing large abutilons indoors I'd plan on cutting back heavily, spraying to make sure few if any pests come in with the plants, and going easy on the water and fertilizer for awhile.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 5:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

eric, cut them back AFTER they finish their long-attended blooming?what do you use for spray? (i have 5 yr old Neem's but it got wicked thick and i don't know how/if i can thin it.)
thx much,
mindy

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™