Butterfly bush- can it be garaged?

ellenr22November 10, 2006

I have never over-wintered a potted one, mine are all in the ground. My father has put his potted butterfly bush in the garage for the winter. Does it need to be watered over the winter?

Also, there is no light, is that a problem?

thanks,

ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I've never overwintered a butterfly bush in the garage, but I'm about to try! I have a potted one that I never got around to planting, so into the garage it will go.

I have, however, overwintered many, many things in the garage. It would seem to me it is a bit early to have it inside already. Here in CT we are still having temps in the 60s and 50s. You want to make sure the bush is fully dormant before bringing it in, or the warmer temps inside may make it put out new (weak) growth.

Also, the dark should be no problem. I actually cover my two garage windows after I bring all my pots in. The darkness helps the plant stay dormant.

Make sure it is well watered up to the time you bring it in. (Depending on your local temps, I would really consider bringing it back outside for another few weeks). Then around mid- to late January, go in and give it some water, or throw a shovel-full of snow on the pot. Depending on how late you bring the pot out, you may need to check for water one more time, but I always forget to do it a second time, and the majority of my stuff does well anyway.

Good luck!
:)
Dee

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 11:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyd(5/Rochester, NY)

I've never overwintered one either in a garage, but I did with a tree rose. I agree, it'll be OK with no light. I wrapped mine totally in burlap and it's common for people to cover certain plants or shrubs over the winter and they do OK. I gave my container a good soak before I moved it into the garage and it rarely needed water - only when it felt dry in the top couple inches so he should check it periodically. I'm not sure how a butterfly bush will react, I guess he'll find out. I agree - keep it outside until the last possible minute. They're not that fragile. Then move it outside as soon as possible in very early spring.

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™